“Dissapointed”

ShellyCruiser
Member Since 2010
1 Helpful Vote
Overall Member Rating
We went on a short 3 night Bahamas cruise on the Independence of the seas in December 2012. Apparently it was the ships first cruise in the US in 4 years. Previously it was in the UK. The food in the windjammer was nothing to rave about and it was very difficult finding a place to eat, especially during lunch. We have been on the Freedom class before and didn't find this to be an issue. The internet service was horrible and my cell phone didnt work when it should have. It wasn't my phone carrier service either....it was definitely the ships issue. Our stateroom service was pretty good. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of our balcony. The biggest issue was the dinner service. The food was great but service was bad. It was the worst service we have had on ANY cruise line. I don't even know what our Waiters name was because he never formally introduced himself....and we were early to dinner the first night. Including myself, there were 4 people at the table. Someones dinner was wrong every night and twice my husband didn't get his appetizer. Our assistant waiter made up for what our waiter lacked. The excuse was that people in the UK were different to serve then in the US...I am not going to complain about slow service but getting the orders wrong has nothing to do with that. Our waiter kept saying he was busy but our area was very quiet...It was not full and a whole table never even showed up. We never saw the head waiter so we could not bring up our concerns to him. Our stop on coco cay was excellent. The other main problem was our next port of call. The night before our scheduled stop the ship was informed that we couldn't go there because there were too many ships. Really? I booked this cruise over 6 months ago and you are just now figuring this out? So instead of going to nassau the ship made arrangements to go to freeport for a half day. Nothing to rave about in freeport....A day at sea would have been better. Maybe an onboard credit would have been nice....but we got nothing! So I was a little disappointed in that...we were really looking forward to Nassau. in conclusion, would I sail with Royal Caribbean again? Definitely yes....but I will keep my options open with other cruise lines. Moral of the story....Don't expect a perfect cruise when it is the first one....whether a new ship or new itinerary.
Independence of the Seas Cruises to the Bahamas
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

Port
I love Coco Cay. You can be in the action of a ton of people or take a short walk down the beach and be alone. Snorkeling is great there too! Many bars. Island is in great shape. Beautiful!
Read 584 CocoCay Reviews
Port
Didnt have any time to research this port as it was a last minute decision of the cruise line. We were only there for a few hours and didnt have time to leave the port area....Very boring. It was interesting to see the other ships that were in dry dock.
Read 1,075 Freeport Reviews
Published 01/09/13
1 Helpful Vote
Read Cruise Critic’s Independence of the Seas Review
Independence of the Seas Cruises to the Bahamas
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?