Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by jeditden: Fun Time!

jeditden
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Fun Time!

Sail Date: November 2012

So we booked this cruise almost a year in advance to experience the Ben and Jerry's "Suite" (6305). So after staying with my in-laws for a few nights, we were ready for a vacation! My Father in Law drove to the port and foolishly took his firearm with him. Note to all, do NOT bring a firearm with you thru the port. They made him get out of the car, and my Mother in Law had to drive us in. That was an adventure as well, haha.

Being that this was the first time LOS was back in the states, would account for the cluster of disorganization with porter service, and the delay in boarding. thankfully they had a separate line for C&A members, and we were thru relatively hassle free. Once on board, we went to check out our room, now to be referred to as "Cow Butt Cabin".

So the "Suite" has a nice sign on the door alerting you to the fact that it's your room. Helpful for being able to find it easy. Layout wise, it's the same as a traditional promenade cabin, thought with More cow decorations everywhere. Comforter, wall clock, statues, alarm clock,many hidden cow items. We even left a cow themed item to add too the collection! To make up for the loss of view, we had a nice pun filled letter "udderly" welcoming us on board. We were given free ice cream for every day of the cruise. We got to know the guys in the shop pretty well, and they called us their downstairs neighbors. We also received complimentary access to the "Cowncierge lounge" This is reserved for suite guests, and was a nice treat. Nightly happy hour with free drinks and appetizers. We felt a little out of place next to some of the people, but the concierge was very nice, as was the bartender. We were also given access to the lounge area for suite guests, but never took advantage of that. Noise wise, your one wall is next to a crew stairwell, but other than the final night when they are bringing luggage down, we never really noticed it.

Service on the ship was outstanding. When we had received only one of our luggage bags, we were fearful that someone wouldn't have enough clean undies to last the week, but our room attendant was very helpful and jumped right into search mode for us and located it by the time I had journeyed to the "Naughty room" thinking it had gotten flagged in error. We opted for the later 8:30 dinner in the MDR, as we appreciate the service that comes with having the same waitstaff all cruise. We had a 1st time waitstaff that had just been promoted. Since the cruise wasn't full, there was only myself, my wife and another couple at our 8 person table. On the 1st night, when my wife had said aloud that she was sleepy, but didn't want to go to bed, our waiter overheard, and brought her a complimentary espresso. It was a great gesture that was appreciated much. After the 1st night, the other couple who had been seated with us, had gotten their table changed so they would be with the rest of their family whom they were cruising with. On one hand, it was nice to not have to make awkward small talk, but it did let us get to know our waitstaff better. They were super great and made sure we were always stuffed. From making my wife try the escargot (which she loved) to bringing me multiple steaks without asking, they have a bright future ahead of them! We had tried Chop's multiple times on previous ships, so we decided to try Portofino's this time. The food was outstanding. The T-bone I received rivaled Chop's for sure. FYI, Haricot Vert is green beans for other uncultured rubes like myelf, ha. My wife went with the seasfood skewer which she loved as well. Is it pricey, yes, but it's an experience. Just make sure you aren't missing anything tasty in the MDR. Our one knock would be on the terrible tendering process to Belize. we waited close to 3 hours to get off the ship with no information ever given and people constantly cutting into the line.

Activities on the ship were great. The flow-rider is so much fun. Despite me losing a toenail on the surf-rider on a previous cruise, we jumped right back there. I bruised my thigh pretty bad jumping into the wave, but I'd still do it again. A small but somewhat obvious tip. Check out the flow-rider when you are in port. It's almost always running either open stand up surf, or boogie board with next to no lines. It was the first time I haven't seen them use the divider to let 2 people boogie board at once. The nightly shows also were well done. We skipped the 1st show as I can only hear so many these rooms are so tiny jokes from whatever comedian is on ship. But Saturday Night Fever was great. Even when the captain came over the intercom interrupting the performance, the cast kept it in stride. Even "rewinding" themselves back a minute or so to reset everything. In the Air was also very well produced and was my favorite show I've seen on ship so far. Being a amateur juggler myself, the juggling couple was also quite good. The ice show is also not to be missed. The Russian Featured Entertainer put on a great show with a good deal of crowd interaction.

You can check my port reviews for more in depth info on Belize and Cozumel.

Overall this was a great experience, that despite the ship not being close to capacity felt like the crew was happy to help us, and despite the hiccup with Belize tendering was great fun. The ship itself was in great condition with and the weather was nice for Mid November. A little cold in the pool while in Fort Lauderdale, but nothing bad. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Liberty of the Seas 6305

Super unique cow themed room. The cow statues outside block your promenade view somewhat, but the perks of the cabin make up for it. Can get a little noisy with it being a connected room, as well as being right next to a crew stairwell. But if you sleep well you shouldn't notice it other than luggage night.

No review of Belize is complete, without mention of the horrid tender process on LOS. We had decided to go with an off ship excursion company for the first time who had gotten great reviews. We had a scheduled 11am excursion with them. So knowing how tendering can go, we got down stairs around 8:45am. The line snaked all the way thru the inside cabin hallway on deck 3. We must have sat there for over an hour and a half before there was any line movement. Of course by then, people were snaking into the line from other ways, making one giant cluster of people who were all tired and annoyed of being pushed and cut into. No reason's were ever given for the delay. I have tendered multiple times in other ports, even in Belize a prior time but never was it like this. We guessed it must have been since it was the first time the ship was in port for the season, but who really knows. Once we reached land around 12:10pm, we found the tour company rep, who had been waiting for everyone. We had decided to take the cave tubing excursion which also included lunch through Island Marketing (Something the RCC sponsored ones did not, and cost twice as much.) After a quick stop off at a local "Wal Mart" we were on the way to the caves, approx 1 hour from Belize City. Along the way our tour guides filled us in on all the little facts and history of Belize. they were very knowledgeable and friendly fellows. Once we arrived on site, they split us into a group for those doing zip line and those just doing tubing. We went to just do tubing, along with a father and his daughter. After the 45minute hike thru the jungle, accompanied by more facts about the area, we reached our river entry point. Our tour guide loved having a smaller group,as we could really take our time and look at all the crazy rock formations. It's a great leisurely float, that anyone who can swim should try. It's not adrenaline packed or anything, but really is quite fun. When we finished we stopped at a local restaurant where our guides picked us up lunch to go, as we were short on time. We were all a little scared we'd miss the tender back to the ship, but they assured us in all the times they've done this, they've never had anyone miss the boat. We were the closest they will probably have for along time though. We were all the last people on the last tender ship back to the ship! My rationale was "The ship made us wait to get off, the ship can wait for me to get back on!"

Since this was probably our 6Th time in Cozumel, and will be back here in the spring, we decided to skip doing an excursion this time. we did get off the ship around noon after a leisure paced morning on ship and took the walk from the pier to downtown. If shopping is your thing, Cozumel is for you. They can be a little pushy in their salesmanship, but nothing sketchy if you stay in the nicely populated areas. We opted to eat lunch at Pancho's in the Forum shops. Tasty guacamole! Good enchiladas as well. After some lunch, we did some more light shopping and went with a taxi cab back to the ship rather than take the 5 mile walk again.
Read 3138 Cozumel Reviews