Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by Queenslander12: Ruined by sickness

Ruined by sickness

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

Were really looking forward to cruising with RCI, and realistic and not into complaining about everything for the sake of it. We enjoyed the many positives of the cruise, like Cruise Director Gordon who was just fantastic, the shows and entertainers good, embarkation excellent, port stays good, dining room lovely and staff in there friendly and attentive. Also the Captain who was very personable and communicated through interactive channel regularly.

However, our issue was that prior to boarding we had read this ship had norovirus and yet no precautions taken to prevent same when we boarded and sure enough, by day 3 myself, along with many other passengers, had come down with the dreaded virus. Medical centre was overrun with people trying to access treatment, I was confined to my cabin and missed a port stop (Week one). Week two, second bout of norovirus, again confined to cabin and missed port no 2. So many people on board with virus and whilst some attempt made at More sanitising, elevator not attended to, nor chairs public areas. Captain and cruise director broadcasted there was an 'epidemic' in Australia responsible for the virus coming onto the ship - yet I have searched media and Australian government sites since returning and no mention of a gastric outbreak in Australia.

On last night my husband contracted norovirus and after vomiting profusely all night, attended medical centre who informed still required to disembark at allocated 6.30am time! After protesting (he was very sick), we were granted an hour to 'rest up' before being required to disembark still, as they were expecting other passengers coming on board for the new cruise!

This ship was contaminated with norovirus cruise before ours and many people sick on ours, I think it needs addressing and stop blaming 'Australian epidemic' on land as the problem. It's such a shame that they did not address this earlier as getting so sick is just not ok. Less

Published 01/09/13

Read more Voyager of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Voyager of the Seas Review >>

Compare Prices on Voyager of the Seas Australia & New Zealand Cruises

Cabin review: N8123 Interior Stateroom

Very quiet cabin with little traffic outside.

Read All Interior Stateroom (N) Reviews >>
Member Since 2012
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X