Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by Trixie1965

Member Name: Trixie1965
Cruise Date: December 2012
Cabin Category: 8C
        13-15 1.0

Disappointed in Carnival; will not cruise Carnival again!
My mom (84) treated us to a cruise and paid $30,000 for all 22 of us to enjoy this family vacation. She is handicapped and is in a wheelchair. After waiting over an hour in line to just get onto the ship, I found my sister crying because Carnival screwed up and did not have a handicapped room for my mom. I called Kevin from Carnival Cruise lines since we booked it with him. I called him on his cellphone and he told me that since it was a Sunday and he was not in the office, he could not do anything about it! We had to go to Guest Services and the woman (Anna) told us that when everyone boarded the ship, she will see what she could do for us! Well, to make a long story short, they never moved my mom or was able to accommodate her. Her wheelchair couldn't fit in the room. There was a step up to the bathroom. We had to get 2 people to lift her into the bathroom each time she needed the restroom. They brought us a half-mooned chair for her to sit on so we could bathe her in the shower. We had to move the table out to the balcony in order just to move around in the room. It was horrible!!!

The food on the cruise was fair. With the exception of the ice cream and the chocolate melting cake dessert, all of the other desserts were awful. The formal night was such a disappointment. Not only was there no one in a tux, but most men were in golf shirts or buttoned shirts with no jackets. It was not a dressy event. We never even saw the Captain. On Christmas morning, we waited in line down the steps just to get into the dining room to eat breakfast. We were expecting Lobster tail for Christmas dinner since it was our Captain's dinner and our formal night, but they served turkey and filet instead. The desserts were the same as the rest of the week. There was no special attention for Christmas dinner. In fact, the only Christmas special treat was the Christmas show that you couldn't get a seat to see it because it was after Bingo and everyone stayed in their seat from Bingo!! The ship did not have a deck party on the last two nights and that was very disappointing. They had the deck party on the night before we were getting up early for Jamaica. We were wishing that they had it the following night because we were going to be at sea the next day or even the last night.

The lines for the Lido deck buffet were ridiculous! We wasted more time in lines. We never got to eat the Mongolian Buffet stir fry because the lines were out into the hallway EVERY DAY!!!! It was at least an hour wait just to get the stir fry. The so called "Good Eats" or midnight buffet was an absolute disgrace. I wish I took a picture of it. It had the baby shrimp from the can and old crusty cheese and stale cookies. It had olives, fruit and one chafing dish of a deep fried item! It was horrible. My kids were looking forward to the ice cream bar and the ice cream bar consisted of ice cream only! There was not even a sprinkle or one topping!

We were never able to get a lounge chair at the pool. People save them with towels and we were never lucky to get one. The sign said that they removed the towels after 40 minutes, but no one was doing this. The pools were also were really small for 3000 people. We were really surprised of the size! The casino and the floor it was on was smoky too! It took us over an hour to get off of the ship. Again, we waited in lines! We waited in more lines on this vacation including to get back on the ship from the ports.

Pros: Staff and bartenders and waiters were nice and friendly. Ship was clean. Shows were good.

Publication Date: 01/08/13