Grand Princess Cruise Review by tropicl123

Member Name: tropicl123
Cruise Date: December 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: E
See More About: Grand Princess Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+

Ship Facts: Grand Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Grand Princess Deck Plans
Grand or not?
Happy New Year We sailed on the Grand Princess 7 day New years cruise, departing Fort Lauderdale Fl ( where we live ) Dec 29th. Coming off of the ship,I wondered if I would cruise princess again. The ship itself is pretty but certainly in the old style, even though it had been recently updated. The first thing I noticed upon entrance to our cabin is how small it was, now I know we don"t spend much time in there ....but still a little cramped. The drawer space is very small which means you must fold clothes ...very small to fit. The bed was hard as a rock and although I adore a hard mattress be aware that this mattress is hard to the extreme. The first formal night was New Years Eve and it was then that i was aware of the limited light in the room for women who want good lighting for hair/make-up. There is a light surrounding the "desk" but it is very poor, so I would recommend you ladies bringing a lighted mirror along if you can, and don't forget your blow dryer because ours never got hot. The shower is spacious though and the closet is enough for hanging up what you need.

The New Years Party was really great with a wonderful balloon drop and supposedly free champagne, which we never saw or received. Our meals were mainly in the dining room utilizing the anytime dining that we love, but using anytime dining makes it hard to bond with the wonderful waiters. The best experience we had on the ship was the wonderfully gracious staff.Each and every person we encountered on the staff was friendlier and more helpful than the last.

The food was hard to rate as some was good some was ordinary, I must say none was bad but a few nights into the cruise we commented to each other that everything was sort of tasting the same. One night we ventured into the buffet and if it was any indication of the other nights stay away. It was pretty awful with odd choices. Breakfast buffet seemed fine though. The best gem for food is the pizza, dessert and sandwich shop that is open 24/7 and delightful, oh and if you are a coffee drinker beware the coffee is awful..

Pool situation same on all ships, but they seem to be trying to control the chair hogs by removing towels.

Entertainment was boring except a nice entertaining pianist M....he was fun!

Now I will close by mentioning the shopping on board....it is awful. The selection of duty free alcohol etc is very very poor as is the selection of other merchandise. My sunglasses flew overboard via wind and replacing them was impossible unless I wanted MAGNIFYING sunglasses....and evening shawl......NONE.....So would I cruise Princess again......probably not....but just maybe

Publication Date: 01/08/13