Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by phoenix_dream: A good cruise, but not up to Celebrity standards

phoenix_dream
Member Since 2005
3,849 Posts

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruises

A good cruise, but not up to Celebrity standards

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

We are experienced cruisers, and have sailed on Celebrity more than twenty times. We enjoyed this cruise as we do all Celebrity cruises, but it was not up to their usual standards.

Embarkation - This was smooth and uneventful, with my only (minor) issue being that the gang planks were quite steep in spots, much more so than I am used to.

Cabin - We had a standard outside balcony cabin. The room itself was fine, with the exception of the fold-out sofa which was hard as a box of rocks. There was a pull-out bunk overhead, but as no one in our party is small in stature, it was not really a viable option. The room was in good shape - no noticeable issues with fabric, carpet, condition of bathroom, etc..

Room Steward - We called him "Mr. No" as that was his first response to any request. Not used to this at all with Celebrity. For the first time ever, we ended up speaking to a supervisor who was an absolute delight and took care of all of our More issues.

Food - We ate in the MDR most nights, and felt the food ranged from good to very good. The management of the buffet area was one of our biggest complaints. Drink areas were often out of drinks, and overall it was just poorly maintained. This was by far the worst buffet area in all of our many Celebrity cruises. It was so bad that many people showed up for breakfast in the MDR, which created problems there the first couple of days due to unexpected attendance.,

Specialty restaurants - Decided to try Qsine for the first time and we are now big fans. Did not expect to enjoy it as much as we did. We highly recommend it. We ate at Bistro on Five for lunch the first day, and enjoyed that very much as well.

Entertainment - We inadvertently missed the comedian who I heard tell from word of mouth was excellent. The rest of the entertainment was good, albeit not great.

Captains Club - The Elite events were held in Michael's Club, which we vastly prefer. Our only issue was that we never saw the host. My husband went to one event I did not, and thinks he saw him there. I did not see him until the last day in the disembarkation lounge when he was encouraging us to leave even though the room was open (per our invitation) for at least another hour. (At least I think that was him - he never introduced himself by name) Comfort - I added this category because I had to comment on the difficulty the ship had with its air-conditioning. The first several days it did not appear to be working right and some areas (in particular the buffet) ranged from uncomfortable to downright hot. Our cabin was never really cool, although it got better after we had maintenance come and look at it.

Ambiance - The ship was crowded, with many cabins filled to capacity (and beyond?) with families from the port of sail, San Juan. The atmosphere of the ship was therefore a bit more boisterous than one normally finds on Celebrity. If you sail Celebrity for the 'quiet elegance' it is advertised for, perhaps this might not be the port you would want to sail from. As this was the week of Thanksgiving (meaning the Saturday after) perhaps that is why there were so many large families with young children onboard. That may not be the norm. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>