Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by analuzdi: TERRIBLE AND DIRTY SHIP

TERRIBLE AND DIRTY SHIP

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Other

I have cruised before 9 times. This was my third cruise with Royal Caribbean and I regret having spent so much money in this cruise. The check in procedure was ok, but we had previously checked in online. I was travelling with my husband, my daughter and her husband and 20 other passengers who were part of the family of my son in law. Most of us had previously taken cruises.
We arrived at lunch time, so we decided to go and have something for lunch, so we went to the Windjammer which is the cafeteria. The variety of food was very scarce, but the drinks were terrible: the coffee was undrinkable, the orange juice was half water and half juice, the fruit punch was even worst. The only drink which was very good was tea. Then we went to the pool which was crowded.
This ship has only two swimming pools: one that is exclusively for adults and other who is for children and adults. The floor surrounding the swimming pools was always wet and dirty and we never saw anyone from More the staff cleaning or drying the floor. The same thing happen in the cafeteria and the restaurants, they only cleaned when they closed.
Our steward was a Costa-Rican man, we didn't know his name because he never introduced himself. He did his job OK, the cabin was always clean, but he didn't offer to do anything else. Once we sent some clothes to the laundry, and he never replaced the laundry bag. He was disturbing us all the time even when we had the "Do Not Disturb" sign. He only spoke to my husband because he was travelling with his American passport, he never spoke to me.
As I mentioned before, the food was bad at the cafeteria. They only have one or two varieties of meat. Almost daily there was a roast beef which was greasy and they didn't know how to cut it because they usually cut very wide slices, the same happen at another cafeteria were they served snacks. The only thing which was good was pasta. At the main dining room, the Great Gatsby food was OK, sometimes they have very good dishes and sometimes they were just acceptable. We were very lucky to have a very good waiter who was from the Philippines; we believed he was the only one from the staff who deserved a tip.
The land excursions were just acceptable.
The shows were not very good and the music was basically Latin music, although at the Crown bar they had modern music for young people. One day there was a show exclusively for women where there were five strippers, but one of them was Rico, the entertainment director of the cruise, which we think was not appropriate for such a show.
Overall we believe that something is happening with royal Caribbean or that they believed that since most of the passengers were of Latin Origin, we do not deserve the quality of service they give to American and European people, and they charged us much more than other cruises in the region.
Of course all the group agreed that this is our last cruise with Royal Caribbean. Less

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grandeur of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Grandeur of the Seas Large Interior Stateroom Deck 4 8535

We booked a large interior cabin which was almost the same as my daughter's which was a standard interior cabin. The closes and the bathroom was OK, but the space is very limited. Our cabin was on the deck eight, and since it was close to the elevators it was too noisy we heard since a lot of children running and shouting all the time.

We took a local bus and went to a new shopping center called la Herencia. On the way we were able to have a look at many beaches which are really nice.
Read 686 Aruba Reviews

This is a very small port, there are not many things to do, but the village itself is wonderful.
Read 238 Bonaire Reviews

La Popa Monastery

(3)
The tour dedicates a lot of time to la Popa Monastery which is not worth. Instead they just made a photo stop at the Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas which is really nice. We went to visit the old town which is also very interesting and we saw some local dances that were also very interesting. Some shopping is also included in this tour, but our guide was nor very good. Part of my group was with this guide and other part was with another guide who was much better than ours.

Cave Tour

(4)
The excursion to the Caves was nice. The caves are very small, but the tour itself is really interesting. We also visited the market and some of the sights in the city. We finished the day shopping.

Jewish Heritage Tour

(4)
We heard the story of the sinagogue and visit both the sinagogue and the museum which are really entertaining