Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by tyne4u: So disappointed ... won't cruise with NCL again!

tyne4u
Member Since 2004

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Eastern Caribbean Cruises

So disappointed ... won't cruise with NCL again!

Sail Date: December 2012

Embarkation was a true reflection of the rest of the trip... unorganized; took us over an hour to get on the ship... not enough staff! The worst of my 7 cruises to date!!

I know it's freestyle cruising and we were looking forward to that part of it but it just seemed that everything on the ship was only average. The first two days the food was horrible... not sure why but it did get a bit better after that but it was honestly mediocre a best. Everything was bland, no flavour and tons of butter and oil! We went to Il Daggio the speciality Italian restaurant and it was very good. In comparison to other cruises I've taken with Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Princess it was no better than what is served in there normal dining room so paying extra for this meal just didn't seem to be worth it ... I guess I was expecting more. They planned a special menu for Christmas dinner and I was so very disappointed... I think the turkey was actually a turkey roll and the stuffing was mushy More and had no flavour at all... I couldn't wait to get home and reheat the turkey I had leftover from our dinner with the kids before we left.

Our room was excellent, at the front of the ship and larger than most balcony suites we've had, but when the seas get rough it's really noticeable so if you suffer from motion sickness I wouldn't recommend it. We had two days at sea at the beginning of the trip so after all those waves I was glad to hit shore. We had to tender at our first stop which was St. Thomas. It was okay getting off the ship because we weren't in a hurry but the lineup to get back at the end of the day was ridiculous!

The production shows in the theatre were average. We did enjoy the hypnotist and the comedian.

As for things to do on the ship... unless you're a drinker or a child your choices are limited. I was bored by the end and glad to be getting off the ship which is surprising since I'm a sailor and love the water.

The saying you get what you pay for is true on the Sun. It's not an expensive trip but once you are on the ship I found everything more expensive that on my other cruises. Especially the drinks and spa facilities.

On every cruise the company has cards to fill out for those staff that you feel deserve special recognition and I had a hard time coming up with a name... the only person I could think of was Jonathan "BONG" ... he is a bartender at the Champagne Bar and several others on the ship... he provides the best service, always friendly, and entertaining and makes a great Martini... I highly recommend the Martini tasting classes he holds.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention there were a lot of kids on this cruise which I wasn't really expecting but probably should have since it was an Xmas cruise. We met a few that were awesome but some parents really need to get a grip and teach these kids some common respect and manners. The white hot party was moved to Dazzles night club because the weather wasn't that good and I was appalled that the kids were sitting at the bar ... when we asked staff about it they said it was a family party and they were allowed until midnight... he didn't get it! As a parent, I don't agree with kids sitting at the bar and definitely not until midnight... especially the younger ones!!

My husband and I were expecting a relaxing 10 days of cruising over the holidays... although we had a great time with each other... we were very disappointed in our experience with NCL. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Viking Deck 1202

Cabin 1202 ... excellent room. Intended as an adjoining room for the Owner's Suite so its an excellent location at the very front of the ship. It does get a little rocky at the front but the extra room on the balcony and in the room is worth it!

Took a taxi to the Beach which was excellent! A lot cheaper to take a taxi then use the Cruise Company excursion.
Read 701 Barbados Reviews

We probably should have taken an excursion here ... will next time!
Read 491 Dominica Reviews

Beautiful beaches ... a lot cheaper to take your own taxi that use the cruise ship excursions. Be sure to give yourself lots of time to get back to the ship because traffic going back into town does get busy at the end of the day.

My favourite island in the Caribbean. We rental a jeep for the day and explored lots of beaches. The highlight was the Lolo's in Grand Case. It's an excellent open air BBQ... great food and great value.

A shopping experience not to be missed. We usually head to Megan's Beach but since we had to tender at this stop it wasn't possible to shop and then drop everything off and get to the beach in time.
Read 2322 St. Thomas Reviews