Carnival Legend Cruise Review by ggtu: Trepidation turned into elation

Overall Member Rating

Trepidation turned into elation

Sail Date: December 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

Must admit, after reading the reviews here, I was quite nervous about my second sailing with Carnival. My first was a three night cruise from Port Canaveral that left me with a "never again" mentality. However, my 14 year old daughter convinced me that a Christmas cruise would be just the perfect thing for us to do. And given that we spent 7 nights in a small cabin not fighting was enough to make this a worthwhile trip. Reading the online reviews made me nervous, but as it turns out, I've learned in two cruises, that it's not the ship that makes the trip, but the vacationers and their expectations.

If you live to eat and not eat to live Carnival is not for you. The food was not good at all. The MDR meals were cold and except for a few good appetizers, not worth ever eating again. Buffets were gross and room service options limited. However, my daughter and I eat healthy and normally and in no way looked for this vacation to be one in which to eat into oblivion. More Therefore, I would say fairly decent healthy options are there to be found, but not in huge quantities. Would it really be that difficult to stock a salad bar with lettuce other than iceberg? And could the entrees not be served hot and with less fat? But again, we were not among the many obese looking to cram as much food as possible in a week, so I am not sure we were truly that affected by the limited healthy options.

The ports were great and we booked some terrific excursions. Truly the most disappointing was Stingray City and the Dolphin swim in Grand Cayman. Too many people and not as natural as I expected. Isla Maya in Roatan surpassed expectations though. The snorkeling was great, as a first time snorkeler and the atmosphere perfect. If you do the Top Ten in Cozumel and don't get Carlos as your tour guide/philosopher you are missing out on a great experience. Given that most of the US was blanketed in freezing temps and snow, being where we were was a dream.

Finally, Carnival is for the middle American who saves to go on such a trip. No pretentiousness, not snobbery, we just met wonderful folks who added to our experience. Not all was perfect, but for sure if you wanted to escape the craziness and stress and commercialism that Christmas has become, this was the place to do so. This is a ship for real people, and I would recommend this particular cruise for those who look for a fun and value without have over the top expectations. Less

Published 01/07/13

Helpful? Thank ggtu

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Cabin review: 8C5207 Balcony

The cabin was more than adequate for a mom and her teenage daughter. The stewards kept it pristine.

Read All Balcony (8C) Reviews >>

Went to Bannister Island. Very primitive and overbooked with other cruise lines for the first hour so we were left scavenging for chairs. After that the sun was great, local beer good, but since the water was on the cool side we didn't do much. Sea kayaking is included in the price and that was fun.

Beach Break

Isla Maya in Roatan was great. Lunch was included and was delicious. Plenty of chairs. We snorkeled and except for it being a bit crowded, was wonderful. Probably my favorite port.

City Tour

Unfortunately the local market was closed as we ported on Christmas day, but the guide, Carlos was a gem.

Dolphin Swim

Both overrated and maybe because of the holiday crowds. Stingray City was a bust. Too many boats and not as natural as I thought. The dolphin swim was fun but again, I expected a more natural habitat and it was not. Sort of felt like massive amounts of time in transportation for two quick overpriced photo opportunities. Not what I thought it would be. However, Grand Cayman was a beautiful place.

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

ggtu
Member Since 2013
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X