“Norwegian Adventure”

xmrgwx
Member Since 2013
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
First time cruiser here and I can't wait to do another. The first line of my review says it all. If not for the fact I was completely exhausted after nine days, I would have enjoyed just staying in the cabin and going around one more time. Two days before departure I read numerous reviews and found myself more than a little concerned. The reviews for the food on the Norwegian Gem were less than flattering. I enjoy good food and was preparing myself for the worst. Luckily my fears were put to rest the first night at dinner. The lobster and redfish was great. As some other reviewers mentioned the portions were on the small side but there was no problem getting second or third entries. Never did I get the impression that it was too much trouble for any request during meals. In fact I never heard the word "no" during the cruise. Every request was met with a smile. The prime rib was also outstanding. This is the experience I had with food throughout the cruise. To be fair if I had to pick out a weak spot in the menu it would the soups. They were OK but were lacking flavors that would compel you to order them again. I was really happy with the inside stateroom. It looked small at first but after a day I really didn't give it a second thought. Turned out it was plenty big enough for 2. In fact the shower was larger than my shower at home. I did find the toilet a little closer to the wall that normal but it was manageable. One added bonus of an inside room is you can not tell what time it is. Great for catching up on some much needed sleep in the morning. As others have mentioned everything on the ship was spotless. It was great to see such attention to cleanliness. Overall I really enjoyed cruising on the Gem. Cruise director Ken and assistant cruise director Liz made it fun. I found the shows very entertaining. Even when the seas got a little choppy the shows continued without a hitch. Hats off to all the performers. No cruise is going to be perfect. You just have to go with the flow. I wish there had been less smoke in the casino but on the bright side that probably save me a few bucks :-) I am not really into writing reviews so this is just a small sample of what I experienced. The fact that I can't wait to do it again with Norwegian should say it all. The Gem is a fantastic ship with plenty to do everyday. Its hard to believe its five years old already, everything looks and shines like new. Thanks Norwegian for making this vacation special. Mike
Norwegian Gem Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Inside

IC10013
Our stateroom on deck 10 forward was very quiet. Although the toilets are a little on the noisy side I never heard any noise from adjoining cabins. I liked the layout and lighting. There was ample storage in closets and under the bed. The bed was very comfortable. The hair dryer in the room was nice also, one less thing to pack. There was also a small mini refrigerator to keep things cold.

ATV Safari
This is the way to see the real country. We took the atv's to an isolated beach on the other side of the island. Our group was the only one there, what a blast.
Port
Aside from the Forts and shopping in town I didn't see a whole lot to do there. I had never been here before so it was nice to wander around and see the town.
Read 2,274 San Juan Reviews
Published 01/07/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Gem Review
Norwegian Gem Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?