Carnival Valor Cruise Review by raptorfan: Not likely to be a return Carnival cruiser

raptorfan
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruises

Not likely to be a return Carnival cruiser

Sail Date: December 2012

First the good. Ship was mostly clean and well maintained. Cabin stewards do a great job. Dinner in the main dining room was very good the majority of the time. The chairs in the Serenity adult-only portion of the ship were great. The only knock in this area is the strange situating of the children's area directly adjacent to it. The performers were quite good in the lounges.

Now the not so good. The food in the buffet ranged from average cafeteria food to the inedible. My wife spent the last two days very near a washroom at all times and is convinced it was from the food served there. I overheard, on more than one occasion, passengers complaining that the pizza available was the worst they had ever tasted and I agree.
The up-selling was non-stop. When I ordered a beer on deck, there was always the attempt to talk me into buying a bucket of four. I don't need four beers to relax and read my book in the sun! At dinner or in a lounge whenever I ordered a cocktail it was More always, "do you want a double for only $3 more?". When we went to see a show advertised as an 8:30 start and arrived 15 minutes early to ensure a good seat, we found ourselves sitting through 20 minutes of a pitch to get us to spend $30 on bingo cards and then another 20 minutes of a bingo game we were not interested in! My wife always loves the special sales that occur in the shops on cruises. On this one, they pumped up the big sales deals on a certain day at a specific time. The little shop is filled to bursting with anxious shoppers eager to knock each other to the ground to get the 'special deals'! The crowd is whipped into a frenzy, the rope is dropped funnelling 100 crazed shoppers into an area meant for 25, and all the "special deals'... are the same items that were there yesterday at the same price!

The organization on board was generally poor. I can't remember lining up for so many things on previous cruises. At the Cozumel port the gangway was closed due to another Carnival ship arriving and tying up as most of the passengers on our ship were in the process of debarking. We were told it would be a 15 minute delay. After 40 minutes a woman actually passed out in the overcrowded hot stairwell. On the first day we were told that the waterslide was under repair and would be back in service by day 3. It was closed the entire cruise. Had I been onboard with kids, I'd be pretty unhappy. At least 3 elevators were out of service the whole time (one being a glass elevator). There was very little communication from the captain after the initial welcome. The last couple days were in rough waters causing passengers to consistently adopt wider stances and the closing of the pools. Nobody, however, came on the P.A. to assure passengers that all was well and warn of the rough seas for the next day and a half. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Oceanview Main 2437

Comfortable spacious room. Window was so dirty that we couldn't see out of it the entire cruise

Didn't book an excursion for this port having decided to just find our own way to Seven Mile Beach and relax the day. When I went to the excursion desk to ask for just some basic information about getting around the port, I was told that unless I was booking a ship excursion, there was nothing they could tell me about the port! Very unhelpful! As it turned out we only spent a couple hours poking around the shops near the tender as my wife, by this time, was feeling the effects of a few days of the buffet food on the ship and was afraid to eat anything or stray too far from the ship