Oosterdam Cruise Review by Aussie Battler: Holland America does it again!

Aussie Battler
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Oosterdam Australia & New Zealand Cruises

Holland America does it again!

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

My wife and I and 2 daughters, (ages 8 and 12) departed on a 14 day New Zealand Cruise ex-Sydney on 19th December 2012.
We had high expectations having sailed in Alaska with HAL in 2011. These expectations were met by the Oosterdam in every way.
Food:- We ate in the Vista dining room every night and found the choice and quality outstanding. Most lunches were eaten in the Lido and again the menu was varied and the quality great.
Weather:- We enjoyed calm seas for the entire trip. The only heavy rain was in the Bay of Islands but even then it didn't stop us going for a long walk.
Entertainment:- Again the variety and quality were great. The magic show was a mind-blower. The only one we didn't really enjoy was the ventriloquist. Apart from that I would have paid to see all the other shows.
Service:- We dined at the same table most nights and had fantastic service from Taufik, Frans and Ronald. They were friendly, efficient and performed many tricks that thrilled our More daughters. Thanks guys!!
Ship:- The ship was in great condition and was kept spotless. My only negative in this area was that smoking is allowed in the Casino. I wish HAL would just ban smoking totally on their vessels.
Activities:- Drew (An Aussie) was the Cruise Director. He and his team did a great job keeping us busy on the "at sea" days. All sorts of trivia, games shows, sporting activities etc....Our girls didn't spend any time in Club HAL this time. There were plenty of things for them to do with normal ship life.
Embarking and disembarking went smoothly and were pretty quick.
Every port we visited was well organised and again getting on and off the ship was easy.
Overall we loved the crews and will go with HAL again 100%! Less

Read more Oosterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oosterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Oosterdam Large or Standard Interior Stateroom Main 1028

1028 on the main deck was close to the front of the ship on the port (left) side. It was quiet with no vibration or many people walking by. Being an internal cabin it was easy to sleep as when the lights were out it was pitch black. Small shower. Fold down bed over the double bed for one daughter. Fold out divan bed for the other. Plenty of cupboard and drawer space. Small shower. It felt cramped but it allowed us to spend money on other things. We didn't want to spend much time in our cabin anyway.

Auckland is a beautiful harbour city and as such I would recommend a harbour based tour. We took a ferry across to Devenport which is a beautiful little township. We walked up the top of a hill (about a 25 minute walk) and got a sensational view of the surrounds.

Akaroa

(3)
We did the Banks Peninsula Sheep farm tour. This certainly had a "family feel" to it that was nice. Again the scenery was beautiful and the sheep and dog displays were interesting. My only criticism was that Murray talked for a long time about the history and I would have preferred more "animal" time. Just personnel preference I guess.
Read 10 Akaroa Reviews

The scenery is breathtaking. We saw many seals and penguins and were happy to know that some of the money for this tour was helping the conservation of the penguin. Our young naturalist guide was friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. We also got a pretty extensive bus tour of Dunedin on the way back. Our only complaint was that our bus driver was a bit humourless.
Read 80 Dunedin Reviews

Our stay in Napier was not long" arrived at 7.00 am with a 2.00 pm departure but that didn't stop me playing 18 holes at Cape Kidnappers. The staff there were great and organised transfers for me from the ship to the course and back again. My wife and kids came along and that was no problem either. The course was every bit as good as the website suggests.
Read 25 Napier Reviews

We took a shore excursion here booked through HAL. It was the Waimarino Glow worm kayaking tour. We loved the tour but the kayaking was quite strenuous although not technically difficult. We entered the glow worm caves briefly, before going to the hot pools. There were a series of small "swimming pools" ranging in temperatures. We stayed an hour here for lunch and a re-charge before paddling back. Our guides were fun and I recommend this tour.

We decided to walk around Wellington and it was really easy. It is only a about a 15 minute walk to the Tramway Car which goes to the top of the beautiful Botanic Gardens or you can walk the same distance along the waterfront and see Te Papa.