Zuiderdam Cruise Review by irishgirl87: We enjoyed our cruise, but ship needs dry dock.....

irishgirl87
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Zuiderdam Southern Caribbean Cruises

We enjoyed our cruise, but ship needs dry dock.....

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean

Let me start with we had a great time. The things I mention that I wasn't happy with never would or could never ruin my cruise as we are make the best of any situation people!

CABIN STEWARD: Victor was awesome!

- Quiet hallway across from crew space, but rarely heard them.

- No noise from above at all.

- The balcony was larger then surrounding ones and we usually had sun and shade so it was never too hot. not to breezy More either. From the bend you can see on to most of the forward balconies on your level and below when they are standing at the rail. If you're sitting down you can't see the other balconies and they can't see you.

DISEMBARKING: THE BEST I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED! The night before they gave colored/numbered tags. We packed and had everything out by 1 am. We ordered room service and had breakfast in our room. I sat on the balcony until our color and number were called. Got off the ship in minutes and our luggage was arranged by color and number also. It was great. short lines for customs.

CONS:

- There was a definite sewage smell in areas of the ship. yuck!

- I traveled with a service dog and the potty area they provided was disgusting! They kept telling us they were getting sod, but it never happened. Less

Read more Zuiderdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Zuiderdam Review >>

Cabin review: Zuiderdam Superior Verandah Suite Navigation 8099

- Room: Was a bend room. Loved it! I don't know the exact square footage but it looked and felt larger than the other SS rooms we saw. The bend where the balcony and room stick out meant the table and chairs weren't in between the bed and sofa. The little extra corner made for more open floor space which made the room feel much more spacious. - Quiet Room. no noise from hallway or upstairs lido - awesome closet and drawer space for storage - bathroom double sinks, separate shower and bath! - had a desk and a make up area with chairs. - leather couch, coffee table and side chair. - The balcony was great as well. We usually had sun and shade so it was never too hot. Great Breeze. It had a table, two chairs and two cushioned chairs with ottomans. from the bend you can see on to most of the forward balconies on your level and below, but the only time people can see on to other balconies is when they are standing at the rail. If you're sitting down you can't see the other balconies and they can't see you.

We stayed on ship, slept in and ordered room service on the verandah, then went to the spa. great day!
Read 681 Aruba Reviews

We got off and took a cab to Blue Bay Beach! It cost us $25 each way and the man dropped us off and came back and picked us up. Beautiful! We snorkeled, had a great lunch, nice beach chairs, and really enjoyed it.
Read 501 Curacao Reviews

Let me start with we had a great time. The things I mention that I wasn't happy with never would or could ruin my cruise as we are make the best of any situation people! EMBARKATION: was good. Got to port around 10:45 and boarded about 11:45. Cabin was ready. CABIN STEWARD: Victor was awesome! CABIN: loved the "Bend" suite. it had more floor space I don't know the exact square footage but it looked and felt larger than the other SS rooms we saw. The bend where the balcony and room stick out meant the table and chairs weren't in between the bed and sofa. Lots of closet and drawer space. The little extra corner where the bend was made for more open floor space which made the room feel much more spacious. - Quiet hallway across from crew space, but rarely heard them. - No noise from above at all. - The balcony was larger then surrounding ones and we usually had sun and shade so it was never too hot. not to breezy either. From the bend you can see on to most of the forward balconies on your level and below when they are standing at the rail. If you're sitting down you can't see the other balconies and they can't see you. FOOD: mediocre. desserts were blah and not exciting at all. Ice creme wasn't self serve and closed at 8:45 or 9:00. MDR service was slow and forgetful. LIDO was OK and we ate there often. Not a wide variety of food, but it was good. Loved the pasta station. ROOM SERVICE: Once we ordered coffee and they didn't come for an hour! When it came it was good and we had no other complaints. ENTERTAINMENT: poor! Comedians were good, singers and dancers seemed to be out of sync ... we didn't go to any of the clubs or the casino as it isn't our thing. DECK LAYOUT: loved the smaller ship. Easy to get around and very well layer out. Crows nest was awesome with the coffee bar and lounge area. loved the aft area on deck 9 is where we hung out a lot. SPA: our kids gave us thermal spa passes for the whole week. LOVED THIS ... best part of the cruise that we used everyday. They called the cabin and offered me a discounted massage and I took it. It was wonderful ... no sales pitch either! CONS: - They were doing work outside when we got to our cabin and I found broken glass all over the balcony. I traveled with a service dog so I was worried about him getting cut. We went to lunch and victor cleaned it really well. The next morning .. still glass. Victor cleaned it again. the next day .. we discovered more glass and figured out that on the painted blue edge that water runs the length of the ship, the glass must have been coming from another cabin and traveling to ours in the water. - Toilet wouldn't flush a couple of times and they had maintenance come, not the end of the world, but gross all the same. - The shower didn't drain fast enough so there was all the scummy water on the bottom. - There was a definite sewage smell in areas of the ship. yuck! - There were water buckets for leaks around the ship. One time water dripped on my head! not got - The ship was old, water stains on the ceiling in our room, stains on bathroom sinks, Scratch marks around the ship.