Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by greenfieldwi: Beautiful seven nights on NCL's Epic

greenfieldwi
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Beautiful seven nights on NCL's Epic

Sail Date: December 2012

My wife and I sailed from Miami for a seven night Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Epic December 1, 2012.

We stayed the night prior to the cruise at the Hilton Miami Downtown and had a great view of the Seaport. We took a cab for the five minute ride to the port and dropped our luggage with a very friendly porter. After the usual security scan, we literally walked up to the counter without a wait (even though it was about noon...we just hit a perfect little break in arriving passengers) and within three minutes, or check-in was complete. We sat in the waiting area for no more than 20 minutes and we were on board.

One of the challenges for the first day on any ship is just trying to figure out where you are and where you want to be. We took the elevators to Deck 11 and headed towards our aft cabin, 11317. Our luck continued as when we arrived to the Deck, the doors to the cabin area were just being opened and we were able to drop our carry-on luggage in our More room.

If you have seen pictures, of Epic's cabins, you'll know the rooms are curved and makes for a bit of a challenge with more than one person walking around in the cabin near the bed. The sink is near the foot of the bed and on Epic the shower stall is on one side of the cabin doorway and the toilet stall is on the other side of the doorway. If you are traveling with someone you aren't intimately acquainted with, these room set up with probably help you become better acquainted! The toilet area isn't very soundproof -- let's leave it at that.

The balcony was covered, which was great for a couple of fair-skinned Northerners such as my wife and me. There were two chairs and a small table and it is a decent sized balcony.

We left Miami on Saturday 12/1 and spent that night and the next two days at sea. Although the waves were 9-11 feet, due to the sheer size of Epic, the movement was not nearly as bad as I expected.

The weather cooperated and we had a great time on the sea days. My wife was "drafted" by Fernando (one of the cruise director's more visible staff members) to take part in the Miss Epic contest. We said we wanted to do new and different things on this cruise and that sure fit the description.

The ship also has a rock climbing wall with different areas that are designated as easy, medium, hard and extreme. I opted for the medium course and did ok for my first attempt at such things.

The ship has two bowling centers with three lanes each, one in Bliss at the front of the ship and the other in O'Sheehan's.

The ship has three water slides and my wife and I had a lot of fun killing time on them.

We did not dine at any of the specialty restaurants with the exception of getting sushi the first evening at the Wasabi Sushi & Sashimi Bar. The sushi there was very flavorful and the staff very friendly.

We often dined at the less-formal Taste restaurant (although on NCL "less formal" is a way of life), which featured the same menu as the dressier Manhattan Dining Room.

One thing I will say about NCL is that the staff, in general, just seem friendlier to me than those on other lines on which I've sailed.

Our cabin steward, Edmundo, was fantastic. If we needed anything, we would leave him a note or catch him in the hall and it was done right away.

Disembarkation, always a downer of a day for me, was fine as we did the self-disembark and we were off of the ship by 9am. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic Family Balcony Stateroom Deck 14 11317

Cabin 11317: B1 category, aft-facing balcony. Ample storage space on wardrobe closet and drawers; suitcases easily fit under bed for extra storage. Balcony has great views and is covered, which was great for people who like the shade. Very quiet (aside from the sounds of the waves coming out of the back of the boat) -- at least two floors of passenger cabins both above and below this cabin. We had a great trip in this cabin and would recommend this particular cabin without hesitation.

We've been to Nassau a few times before, so we really only got off the boat to walk around the shops near the port. Traffic was a bit insane right around the port and we quickly tired of the "come here, look at our stuff" pitches from many of the vendors. [I will say, however, it's nowhere near as bad as what you'll find in other ports such as Costa Maya or Cozumel].
Read 2666 Nassau Reviews

This is our favorite port of call as we always go to the Sunset Bar & Grill at Maho Beach near Princess Juliana Airport. It's a great time to sit and watch the planes come in literally less than 100 feet above your head. It's a great beach to play in the water. We were able to take a cab for $20 for the two of us for the 25 minute ride to Maho Beach. Especially this time of the year, cabs are plentiful and you can often get even lower rates by sharing cabs (often minivans) with others.

Very warm day and St. Thomas. If you have cruised here before, you'll know there are two cruise ports on St. Thomas: The Crowns Bay dock and Havensight Dock. The Epic docked at Havensight and as such as were within walking distance to Paradise Point. We bought tickets for the sky ride to the top and ended up with spectacular photos of the three ships at Havensight dock plus two additional ships off in the distance at Crowns Bay. On the way back, we walked through the shops at the Havensight dock and did shopping. One thing I'll say that was incredibly nice (and unexpected) was that when we arrived back at the ship, staff were handing out ice-cold washcloths and free water to those of us returning from St. Thomas. I would have been happy to pay for cold bottled water at that point, but to have it provided for free? Nicely done, NCL.
Read 2342 St. Thomas Reviews