Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by jhbitner: Celebrity has slipped

Compare Prices on Celebrity Infinity South America & Antarctica Cruises

Celebrity has slipped

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: South America & Antarctica

We have cruised previously on the Millennium on an Australia - New Zealand cruise and this review will compare the ships and the services 5 years later.

Upon arriving at the pier to embark, we were greeted with a extremely long line, and very late embarkation, because of a intestinal outbreak on the previous cruise. We were kept in the hot sun in long lines waiting to be processed onto the boat. At least they did offer free bottles of water.

Upon arriving aboard minimal services were offered while they continued to disinfect the ship. We were no allowed into the cabins until late. I felt sorry for the crew because of the stress they were under because of the situation.

Cabins were standard for the Millennium class of ships. Cabin service was excellent. It was obvious they were going to extra efforts to disinfect.

Pool service, at least what we used, was normal and met expectations.

Entertainment had gone way downhill since the previous booking More with Celebrity. The quality of the shows and performers was not up to expectations. It is obvious that the monies being spent was not to obtain the best available entertainment anymore.

Food. The quality of the food on our previous cruise with Celebrity had been the best we had ever encountered on a cruise. I would have had to rate is a solid A. Not only was the food great, the variety was outstanding, the preparation was above reproach, and the service in the dining room when we used it was stellar. You were served fast, efficiently, and very graciously. What a change with this ship. The food was at best a C, sometimes a D to F. Only once in the dining room did it reach a better grade than that. The service in the Ocean View restaurant was abysmal at best and the variety was not good. When you go to the salad bar and can not even find staples such as tomatoes offered, no one to refresh the bar and keep it stocked, etc., you can see that Celebrity is really cutting corners. At his point I would rate the food much below even Norwegian Cruise line which is not known for their cuisine. Service in the Trellis restaurant was also very poor. It took us between 2 to 2.5 hrs to have dinner at the restaurant, I take it because of the cut back in staffing, and the food was just not worth the wait. The good part about all this is neither of us gained weight on the trip because the quality of the food was so poor.

I ran into many longtime Celebrity cruise people on the ship, and without and exception, they were saying that this was their last Celebrity cruise, that the cruise line was degrading its bottom line so much that it was not worth it. If I had not already booked another Celebrity cruise before I took this cruise, I would not do so. Wish I could find away to get a complete refund on the cruise and the air flights now. Less

Read more Celebrity Infinity cruise reviews >>