Carnival Legend Cruise Review by ChristmasLegend12: Christmas Cruise 2012 on Carnival Legend

ChristmasLegend12
Member Since 2012

Family & Children 1.5

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Christmas Cruise 2012 on Carnival Legend

Sail Date: December 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

This was my family's first cruise. I have three teenagers that like to keep busy.

Firstly, the staff on board the Legend are excellent. How they maintain their enthusiasm and cheerfulness is incredible. They are always willing to help, always ready with a smile, and they all work very hard to make the cruise as pleasant as possible.

Embarkation and debarkation processes were efficiently handled. There were a few lines getting on an off the boat, but they moved quickly. I am fairly impatient by nature, and I did not feel at all aggrieved getting on and off the boat.

The decoration on the boat is over the top, and looks like the colour schemes was decided by the local blind school, everything was always clean and good order. The maintenance staff work hard to keep everything ship shape, which is no easy task with over 2000 people charging around every seven days.

The two balcony state rooms that we used were great. The teenager's room was messy More with clothes strewn across the floor, computer wires left dangling, and towels and bathing suits discarded, but the cabin staff magically transformed it into a livable space twice a day.

My fourteen year old son had a blast. He had to be dragged into his room every night. There were organized parties and activities that kept him entertained continually. He met a boat load of new friends - and has been on skype with them all since the trip. Unfortunately for my 17 and 19 year old teenagers that was not the case. There are so very few activities that either interested or entertained this age group - they fall into the void. To be honest there was not a lot of entertainment for my wife and I either. Carnival makes a strategic mistake of trying to spin their sales into the entertainment - for example, on all the daily fun sheets that are delivered to your room they include stuff they are trying to sell (bingo, diamond sales, watch sales, etc). If you stripped out all of the sales stuff it really would not leave a lot to do.

The Follies is the main theater, and I wondered why it was never full (except when lining up for tenders on excursion days), but after seeing what was presented I quickly understood why. The dancers were very good, but the overall entertainment was very poor. The magician that was supposed to put on a show failed to arrived (missed the plan as opposed to the boat). The alternative show was very, very poor. Too camp, and too little substance.

Thankfully you only spend two days out of ports, otherwise the entertainment would have been a big issue for us. On the two ship days my wife and I really enjoyed walks around the decks, high tea in the afternoon, and using the gym. The real highlight of the trip was the ports. We did snorkeling in Cozumel, Mayan ruins in Belize, Zip lining in Roatan, and more snorkeling from a boat in the Grand Caymans. We had a blast. We did not do any of the Carnival excursions because I could not see any difference between their excursions and the ones offered on line (I used Island Marketing - and they were excellent) - that is except for the price (differences ranged between %25 and 40%). There is also one other difference - Carnival says they do not discriminate between getting their excursion off the boat first, but that depends on how you define discriminate. For Belize they tell everyone to meet in the Follies at around 9.15am to catch the tender. They inform their excursion people to meet earlier than that. So although they say it is on a first come first served basis, they stack the deck in favour of their excursions. As a result our excursion in Belize was a rush - too much time was spend getting on and off the boat. Oh well, what can you do.

I thought the meals in Truffles were excellent. Huge variety of foods, excellent waiters, food was cooked well, and great service. My family are adventurous eaters, so we had sushi-mi, alligator, frog's legs, shark, lobster, and much more. There was only one meal where the fish was slightly over cooked (which is a crime with fish), but the rest were excellent. They have a standard side of the menu that caters to the less adventurous and does not change daily.

Overall I would say that we had a good time. Not too sure I would go as a family on this cruise line again. But it has given us a good idea of what Islands we could visit in the future. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend Balcony Empress 6247

We really enjoyed the cabins - even though we did not spend that much time in them.

Too much time was spent trying to get on and off the boat. Carnival gets their excursions off the boat first. Very frustrating.

Snorkeling

(5.5)
Excellent service, directions were easy to follow, great facility.

Snorkeling

(5.5)
Used the Buccaneer and Captain Bryan. He was excellent. Would highly recommend him to anyone.

Mahogany Bay is beautiful. The island is extremely poor, but travelers are isolated by the Carnival facilities. Personally I liked experiencing both parts of the island - the real Roatan and also Mahogany Bay.
Read 1649 Roatan Reviews