Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by mikeyd: Very nice cruise. Highs and lows included....

mikeyd
Member Since 2003

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

Very nice cruise. Highs and lows included....

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Bahamas

Overview There were two families in our group. Both with kids between 19-22. Parents in mid 40's. We decided on this cruise since all parents and kids were available. If our schedules permitted we would have booked a March / May cruise which would have guaranteed better weather. We risked it and tired this cruise which left Miami on December 28 with stops planned for Great Stirrup Cay (GSC) and Nassau.

Miami Hotel -- Hyatt Regency
We stayed at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Miami. This Hotel was very nice. The location and lobby were very impressive. The rooms were nice too. Highly recommended if you are staying the night before. We had to take a cab from FLL and it was $80 including tip. We did hit rush hour which may have added to the fare. Also, we used the FREE metro mover (people mover) to get to Bayside which is an awesome place. There was a band playing and some great resturants to choose from. We chose Los Rancheros and really liked More it.

Very, very smooth. We arrived around 10:45am and the initial check-in desk area was pretty empty. We waited less than 3 minutes to see an agent to get our ID and then we waited less than 2 minutes to actually board the ship.

The Cruise
The ship was nice. I don't have anything bad to say about the overall ship, it served us very well. As for the late night entertainment, we were kind of disappointed. I enjoy reading the list of activities and debating over which events to hit and which events we'll need to sacrifice. Well, on this ship there were no debates since there were only really one thing to do at a time. The comedian, Rod Long was pretty good. He did two shows and both were "clean". Not sure why they didn't have a R version adults show since these usually seem to be much better. He did a show the first night and the last night. The second night they had a Frankey Valley themed show which we missed.

We enjoyed the MC's at Dazzles a LOT. They knew how to turn a decent audience participation show into a funny event. "The Perfect Couple" show was GREAT and Hilarious. We also saw the game based on minute to win it which again was very good. The bald Asian guy was very subtle but funny!! Food was decent. The first night we ate at Longboards and really liked it. The only caution is that we got there around 6:30pm. The ship offered a 5 drinks for $25 package when you get on, and it's essentially a pub crawl where in 55 minutes you hit 5 pubs and drink 5 drinks. Well, the large group of pub crawlers came through Longboards around 6:45pm and the small staff at Longboards were focused on opening a ton of Coors light beer cans for the group. The group took over the bar for about 15 minutes and it was actually very fun. The ring leader was a funny guy and the toasts were hilarious. If you have young kids, you may want to avoid the toasts. Anyhow, the fish and chips here were AWESOME! We all raved at how good they were. Longboards also has 2 for 1 drink specials from 6-8pm which is a great deal.

If you find the main buffet area packed, be sure to head further back in the ship to hit the Great Outdoor Cafe. Very good variety of food and less crowded in general.

Debarkation
We decided to do the self check-out and carry our bags off on our own. We ate breakfast at 8am and as we finished they announced we were clear to debark. We walked to our room, got our stuff and headed off the ship. We were through customs and waiting for cab in about 15 minutes. Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky

Boy did we luck out!! It seemed like the past few cruises for this ship had to cancel this stop due to high winds. We woke up early to discover pretty flat seas and were excited. We rented the cabana and make the somewhat long walk to get there. The cabana itself was really nice. It does have AC power so if you have an ipod or small boombox you can plug it in. You may need a double outlet plug adapter since I only think there was one outlet and the fridge was using it. It offered a great view of the beach and protection from the sun. This would be perfect and invaluable for hot summer days since it has a ceiling fan and shade. It was only 82 this day and not totally necessary. I brought my own snorkel gear and was required to rent a vest for $4.99 ( I was stopped by the life guards w/o the vest). The snorkel gear is $30 to rent!!!! Please bring your own, higher quality gear. My nephew needed to rent the gear so I saw it was bottom quality stuff. Anyhow, I snorkeled to the far left side of the beach area directly in front of the cabanas and was blown away at the quantity of the fish. It was EXCEPTIONAL!!! The further to the left you go, the better it got. My nephew and I did the snorkel trail on our own in front of the main beach and were not impressed. The sunken anchor and treasure chest were covered with silt and there were very few fish to be seen. The water for us northerner's was very tolerable. I just jumped in right off the bat and the water was perfectly fine. The biggest downside to the cabanas was the service. This was touched on in other threads, but it was pretty darn bad. I am not sure if the servers don't make as much $$ on tips or something, but we had to walk over to the head waiter guy dressed in the white officer looking uniform to have someone come take out order. I overheard another group mention their servers even brought them their lunch. This was not the case for us, we had to get our own. Not a biggie. Speaking of lunch it was FANTASTIC! It was not just BBQ food with a potato salad on the side it was a great meal, the food was hot and fresh with lots of fresh fruit and all sorts of stuff. GSC was the highlight of our cruise.

Blue Lagoon Island Beach Day

(4)
We have been to Nassau a bunch of times in the past and were unsure what we wanted to do. When we docked in Nassau it was very windy (20-25 knots) and we wanted to do a beach day. We knew from previous visits that Blue Lagoon was well protected and opted for that. It was very nice and, as we hoped, protected from the winds. It was also pretty dead, but I'm not complaining. The food was decent and the lagoon was okay for swimming. Very shallow. We walked over to the sea lion and dolphin area and really enjoyed watching them play around. It was between shows and there was no one around. They do have an awesome inflatable toy area with slides and an obstacle course too. It was extra $$ but looked really cool.