Carnival Miracle Cruise Review by bullnich

Carnival Miracle
Carnival Miracle
Member Name: bullnich
Cruise Date: December 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 8D
See More About: Carnival Miracle Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

We Got What We Paid For
We had many options for getting away from the snow for Christmas. We looked at flying to California, Florida, or even Ireland. But, the lowest cost option was doing a Christmas cruise on the Carnival Miracle.

This was my first time on Carnival. I've done Holland America and Celebrity, both which were excellent liners. We knew Carnival was a family-friendly and budget cruise line, so we expected that. Also, it is winter, so we didnt expect to have terrible weather the whole time.

The Miracle:

Such a weird design. I dont know who conjured up that layout and theme, but they were clearly high on something. The Bacchus Dining Room was very cool looking. The Phantom Theater and Mad Hatters Ball were cool layouts. The only thing really strange was the pictures of Novel characters in the stateroom hallways. Overall, the ship design was odd, but made for interesting conversation. They were not going for a modern style.

The shows were decent. I am not into dancing and singing shows, but I didnt fall asleep, so they werent terrible. There was plenty of trivia, Bingo, etc... to occupy your time. The casino did a great job of stealing my money.

The Food:

I was happy with the food. Breakfast was your standard fair at Horatio's buffet. Lunch was the same, with many different stations from Chinese to great sandwiches. We did dinner each night in the Bacchus Dining Room. There were ample choices of appetizers, entrees and desserts. There was only one night I settled for a burger, all other nights had great tasting options. We did not try Nick & Nora's Steakhouse, so I dont know how the food is there. The only disappointment was the Pizza. They have a thing called Pizza Pirate, a 24 hour pizza counter. It sucks. You cannot order pizza through room service, you have to go upstairs and wait for the single guy to run a frozen pizza through a oven. It sucked.

The Ports:

We stopped at Cape Canaveral, FL and both Nassau and Freeport, Bahamas. We did the standard NASA tour at Cape Canaveral. I havent been in years, so it was a nice refresher. BUT, they probably havent updated their videos and attractions since then. It will be much nicer once they get the Atlantis Space Shuttle attraction open.

As for the Bahamas, I was disappointed. It was my first time in Nassau and Freeport. Nassau is a dump. We walked to the Queen's Staircase, and was advised by a Police Officer to be very careful. I havent even heard that walking in Detroit. We did find a decent Beach (Junkanoo Beach) that had nice sand and water. They just need to take a powerwasher to the whole city, and pick up the trash. We did not go to Atlantis, as the cost was too high just for a tour.

Freeport was cold and windy. We took a crappy taxi to the Junkanoo beach, where it was too windy to enjoy. Sand was whipping everywhere, and the water was freezing. We didnt stay too long. I wouldnt go back to either Nassau or Freeport.

The Crowd: New York brings all sorts of people out of the woodwork. You had every nationality represented, as well as every age and disability. With all that said, everyone got along just fine. There were great people we talked to, from Nevada, England, Austalia, etc...

Overall I was happy. The Days at Sea were very relaxing, with much to do in terms of activities and shows. I would definitely cruise with Carnival again. I would look for other ports of call though.

Publication Date: 01/03/13