Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by manyquestionscruiser: Holiday Cruise

Holiday Cruise

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

This is our second RC cruise--last one was 7 years ago. Some things very similar--game shows, fun vibe, very friendly and very helpful staff.

Some things worse--food has definitely deteriorated. Seven years ago I would have described dining room food as excellent. This time--fair. Most of the dishes were lukewarm, the vegetables were always undercooked (almost raw)and I am a big veggie fan, and most of the entrees were rather bland. The dessserts were typically excellent. Even the breakfasts were always cold--eggs esp unappealing when cold. Windjammer even more mediocre although fruit always a good option.

Some things better--nice layout of ship. Easy to find your way around. Loved the Promenade which was a good gathering spot for people. Loved the Promenade Cafe which was open 24 hours, had excellent sandwiches and always available coffee with hot milk (yum). No pushing of alcohol on this ship which I appreciated. Also found the gym and spa area to be lovely More and spotless, the Atrium is gorgeous with a huge hot tub, and the mini golf course well maintained.Ice skating rink a fun addition but rarely open.

Our cabin attendant was excellent. Thanks to CC, we asked for an ice bucket early on and it was filled twice a day so we didn't have to go stand in line at the bars in search of ice every day and were not dehydrated. He also provided robes when I asked and kept the cabin beautifully despite our messiness. Our main waiter was efficient and attentive but not particularly friendly. Our assistant waiter, was a gem--22 years old, always smiling.

Entertainment--typical. Comedian headliner first day not so great. Production number Vegas night fair. Singers not that good. Loved the Beatles tribute band as did everyone else. Loved the piano bar pianist. Fun place to hang out. Never could find a good place to dance before midnight and we would tucker out by then. They need to find more interesting entertainment for the headline shows. Loved the game shows as always--good for laughs. The parade and Christmas caroling were lots of fun.

The Bad--I was unhappy to read that in the previous week a passenger got a bad cold, cough, fever etc. My son and I had the same thing happen despite compulsive handwashing. He was sick for three days--I was sick for two and then cruise was over and I am still recovering (day 5).

Ports were OK--not really my favorite as the beaches were crowded and the surf was rougher than I imagined. I thought the Carribean Sea would be flat and gentle, but there were waves everywhere we went except Eagle Beach on Aruba.

Curacao was pretty. Highly recommend taking the ship tour to the shipwreck in Aruba for great snorkeling. Best of our trip.

We had no problem with rude passengers on our holiday cruise. Everyone was very nice and polite. Ship never felt crowded to me except waiting to get into dining room.
Embarking at 5 PM was a breeze and self serve disembarkation also very quick and efficient. Less

Read more Adventure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Adventure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Adventure of the Seas Family Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6

Good location. Although second level and no balcony (we had to go cheap) there was a nice porthole and good view. Easy access to dining room one floor up and to Promenade three levels up same side. Of course cabins are small and we were three in the cabin, but we were satisfied.

Catamaran Tour

(5.5)
See above. Called Sailing and Snorkeling tour Went on our own to Eagle BEach later--gorgeous!!! Calm water. Beautiful wide open spaces. Few crowds

Snorkeling

Best tour. Wonderful sailing trip to two snorkel spots. Helpful staff. My first ever snorkel on a shipwreck and the fish were fantastic. It was the highlight of the trip for me.

Beautiful town. The colors of the buildings were amazing. Got a nice tour on the taxi on the way to the beach. Very windy when we arrived. Info desk told us that we should not go the snorkeling spot we intended b/c we might not be able to get a cab back so we went to the beach near the Seaquarium at her recommendation called Cabana Beach. There were many beaches attached to one another and we walked to the third one before we could find options for chairs and umbrellas. The beaches felt very narrow b/c they were all crammed with chairs and lounges. Not a bit of breathing room. But the good news was the water was sheltered by a rock wall so the snorkeling was calm, accessible, and beautiful. You could snorkel all along the rock wall for ages and see schools of fish feeding. Saw amazing rainbow fish and many many others.
Read 502 Curacao Reviews

Went on our own to Dawn Beach. Very crowded. It was Christmas and many ships in port. Tried to get umbrellas through the Mr Busby's staff and they said there weren't any, but we walked down the beach and found another guy who set up an umbrella for $5. No chairs but after a little while people left theirs and we go them for free. The beach was narrower than I would have liked and the water was a little choppy. Windy day. Had to go out a ways to be on the reef. It was nice snorkeling but not terrific. Other islands were better. Mr Busby's was only place with a bathroom and it was pretty disgusting.

Went to Sapphire Beach. Got there around 11. Very crowded but were able to get chairs after some ppl left. Snorkeling off of the beach provided some great fish sightings but water was very rough. At first I was afraid to go in but I wore a snorkel vest and felt more secure. Watch your feet--there is coral on the beach and I bashed my toe. The reef is very shallow in places and my husband badly bruised his stomach on it. Despite this, the fish were very good and feeding them some salmon pellets added to the excitement. My son who is a great swimmer went to the point and saw some eels, some large fish and many schools. I would say the beach itself was just OK--not the wide open space I would have hoped for.
Read 2326 St. Thomas Reviews