Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by jackson2000

Member Name: jackson2000
Cruise Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 4F

Nice short cruise out of Galveston
My husband and I took our 14th cruise after Thanksgiving 2012. 7 cruises were on Carnival, 1 Holland America, 1 Princess, 1 RCL and 4 NCL. Our prior cruises included the western Caribbean, southern Caribbean, Hawaii and Alaska. They were 4 to 12 days. The Triumph cruise (5 days) was enjoyable but is at the bottom of our cruise list. The food needs improvement and there needs to be more onboard activities. The staff was very friendly and the ship was neat and looked clean. We had a good cabin steward that kept our cabin neat and clean.

Saturday 11/24/2012, my husband, two friends and I arrived at the Galveston cruise terminal at 11 am and boarded the Triumph 12:30 pm. We headed for the Lido deck for lunch. Everything on the salad bar was nearly frozen and the other items on the buffet were not that good. The sandwich bar was the best. At dinner, my husband and I enjoyed a good steak and escargot. My friends ordered lasagna and it was cold. The nightly show was ok.

Sunday 11/25/2012, on our first full day at sea, the breakfast bar food on the lido deck was ok but it was really crowded. The grits were cold. The music played pool side was terrible. There was too much bass and it was so bad we did not want to hang around. The bass was finally fixed on the third day. We enjoyed playing miniature golf. The ship seemed more crowded than my other cruises. I think that was because there were fewer activities. The music at the pool area was excessively loud and it was very crowded. Lots of kids were running wild. I cannot believe they were not in school. We ate lunch in the formal dining room. The rainbow trout was tasty. We enjoyed tasty pina colada as well. Formal dinner was great. The Lobster, prime rib and stuffed mushrooms were great.

Monday 11/26/2012, on our second full day, we arrived in Progreso, Mexico at 7 am. We ate breakfast at the lido buffet. It was a repeat of items from the previous two days. My husband, two friends and I took the Carnival Uxmal Maya city shore excursion. We usually get our own excursion at the pier after we get off the ship but this long excursion took up the entire time at port and we did not want to risk being late back to the ship. The excursion cost $79 each and was worth each penny. As we boarded the nice tour bus we were given a snack lunch. It was pretty scary so we put it under the seat and forgot about it. After a 90 minute bus ride we arrived at Uxmal. A tour guide spent about 45 minutes with us then we were allowed 2 hours and 15 minutes to the tour the Maya city on our own. The architecture was beautiful and there were many structures. We were allowed to climb one of the two pyramid structures. There is a small but clean shopping area with nice restrooms. We did not eat at the restaurant but it looked nice. We have been to Tulum and another smaller Maya city in Belize. Tulum was very nice but Uxmal is a bit larger. Everyone arrived back at the ship around 3 pm. Lunch was crowded and the buffet lines were longer. There was no formal show that night.

Tuesday 11/27/2012, on our third full day, we arrived in Cozumel, Mexico. We ate breakfast at the lido buffet. It was a repeat of items from the previous three days. My husband, two friends and I took the Carnival Fury Catamaran/snorkel excursion when we were in Cozumel. The cost was $69 each. It was slow to get off the ship then get to the shore excursion on time. The Catamaran crew was friendly. We snorkeled at only one spot a short distance to the ship then took a 30 minute ride to a private beach. The nice beach area had water trampolines, kayaks, water slides, beach chairs and hammocks. On the beach they served beer, margaritas and soda (included in the excursion price). The margaritas tasted like lemonade. After about an hour at the beach we reboarded the Catamaran and headed back to the ship. The photographer (a Johnny Depp want a be) showed us a picture that he had taken of us. The picture was good and cost $20 but we decided against buying the picture. The photographer became irritated, grabbed the picture and threw it to the side. That made us very uncomfortable and put a damper on the trip. We enjoyed the excursion but next time we will do what we have done several times in the past. We will walk through the market at the pier to the highway, walk across the street and get a full two hour snorkel excursion for $30. Dinner was good in the Paris dining room. There was a good magic show after dinner.

Wednesday 11/28/2012, was full day at sea. We ate breakfast at the lido buffet. It was a repeat of items from the previous four days. We ate lunch in the formal dining room and were disappointed with our meals. We spent a little time at the World's Way lounge on the Promenade deck. While sitting at the bar, we played some trivia games and listened to some Karaoke. Another passage spilled a drink and it took several minutes to clean up the mess. I was afraid someone would slip and fall. Someone at the bar finally wiped the mess up on the floor then went back to the bar and started swiping the bar top with the same cloth. We enjoyed playing bingo but did not win.

On Thursday 11/29/2012, we debarked the ship. Debarkation went very smooth. We kept our luggage in our room on Wednesday night so we were able to leave the ship at our leisure on our own schedule.

Publication Date: 01/02/13