Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by travelnnana: 37 days on the Nieuw Amsterdam part 3 - TransAtlantic

travelnnana
Member Since 2003

Embarkation Not Rated

Compare Prices on Nieuw Amsterdam Transatlantic Cruises

37 days on the Nieuw Amsterdam part 3 - TransAtlantic

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Barcelona

We were already on the ship when it arrived in Barcelona. We disembarked early and got on a hop-on hop-off bus. We had already seen much of the city during other cruises. We had been to Monserratt, Park Guell and the Sagrada. My DH convinced me I did not need a heavy jacket - but since I was on top of the HO-HO bus with my camera, I was very cold and had to get off and buy a jacket. Over 800 of us stayed on the ship. It is my estimate that the ship (holding approximately 2000) was not totally filled but I estimate 1000+ boarded the ship - just to sail across the Atlantic - I cannot imagine why anyone would do this - except for the fact that it is cheap and they love to eat! But to each his own.
I did describe the ship in my earlier reviews because the Eastern & Western Med parts were port intensive. But I decided to keep busy on the TA. We did not eat often in the Main Dining Room, on the 1st two legs. But we did on this leg. I rather like the decor in the dining room - red is More a bold color and I love it. We had anytime dining and sat at large table. We continued to enjoy our Lido breakfasts and lunches. We participated in the sail-aways by the Sea View Pool. We went to several shows, and thought the singers and dancers to be outstanding. We also enjoyed a comedian/magic show. There is a small piano bar and an outstanding player - but the room is small and it was always full. There were coffee meetings in the AM with the important officers. I asked the Captain when he slept - he told me NEVER - but I do think the ship was onauto pilot most of the time crossing the Atlantic. I enjoyed the Chefs Wars in the Culinary Arts Center. It was lots of fun. The Captain even showed up on one of the days. I signed up for a hands-on cooking class, which they had to cancel because of insufficient participation - I thought it was worth the $$$. On the evening of the 1st sea day we went to the introduction to the Captain and his team. He implored us to WASH OUR HANDS. But unfortunately, there was a problem. HAL does everything possible - including a paper-towel dispenser by the door in each public rest-room - asking to use the paper towel to open the doors and then toss the towel in the basket. There were no announcements but during the last few days all the hot-tubs were closed.
We enjoyed our balcony during this leg. After a rough night leaving Madiera, the Atlantic was like a lake - gently rolling seas and several nights of putting the clock back.
I have few complaints about our time on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I thought there were too many formal nights. And we had to leave the ship in FLL. Less

Read more Nieuw Amsterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Nieuw Amsterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Nieuw Amsterdam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Upper Promenade 6119

HAL's balcony rooms are great - good closet space - a sofa - bathtub - we were happy in our room - though we envied our cruise companion that had a suite.

One of the best ports in the Mediterranean. This was our 4th time in the city. It is always busy. We enjoyed the blue branch of the HO_HO bus since it took us to areas we had not seen before.

Private Tour

(5)
I enjoyed the narration during the sail into Lisbon. 6 of us boarded a mini-bus which took us on a city tour. I don't think we missed much - It was an enjoyed day - this city was the primary reason we took the trans-Atlantic portion of the cruise - a new country for me!

Four of us got into a taxi to tour this beautiful Island. Unfortunately, it was a wet - rainy day - but at the end we went into a shop to buy Madiera wine - we also got a cake! - beautiful island - many tunnels - wedid not dare goon the Cable car. The taxi was perfect

Botanical Garden

(5)
Though it was wet and somewhat difficult because of the weather. We were glad we were able to do it. Several of our cruise mates did not even go in. The baskets were not running.

The port is Cadiz. We did not go to Seville as I had been there before. We took the HO-HO bus in the moring and enjoyed it . Beautiful port city - lots of beaches. We went back to the ship for lunch. In the late after-noon we took a ship's excursion to LA CAVA - a tiny place where there was a Flaminco show. It was an outstanding show - they served Tapa and wine. Nice ending to our day at this port.