Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by travelnnana

Cruise Date: October 2012
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: VB
See More About: Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Embarkation Not Rated

Ship Facts: Nieuw Amsterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Nieuw Amsterdam Deck Plans
37 days on the Nieuw Amsterdam part 3 - TransAtlantic
We were already on the ship when it arrived in Barcelona. We disembarked early and got on a hop-on hop-off bus. We had already seen much of the city during other cruises. We had been to Monserratt, Park Guell and the Sagrada. My DH convinced me I did not need a heavy jacket - but since I was on top of the HO-HO bus with my camera, I was very cold and had to get off and buy a jacket. Over 800 of us stayed on the ship. It is my estimate that the ship (holding approximately 2000) was not totally filled but I estimate 1000+ boarded the ship - just to sail across the Atlantic - I cannot imagine why anyone would do this - except for the fact that it is cheap and they love to eat! But to each his own.

I did describe the ship in my earlier reviews because the Eastern & Western Med parts were port intensive. But I decided to keep busy on the TA. We did not eat often in the Main Dining Room, on the 1st two legs. But we did on this leg. I rather like the decor in the dining room - red is a bold color and I love it. We had anytime dining and sat at large table. We continued to enjoy our Lido breakfasts and lunches. We participated in the sail-aways by the Sea View Pool. We went to several shows, and thought the singers and dancers to be outstanding. We also enjoyed a comedian/magic show. There is a small piano bar and an outstanding player - but the room is small and it was always full.

There were coffee meetings in the AM with the important officers. I asked the Captain when he slept - he told me NEVER - but I do think the ship was onauto pilot most of the time crossing the Atlantic. I enjoyed the Chefs Wars in the Culinary Arts Center. It was lots of fun. The Captain even showed up on one of the days. I signed up for a hands-on cooking class, which they had to cancel because of insufficient participation - I thought it was worth the $$$. On the evening of the 1st sea day we went to the introduction to the Captain and his team. He implored us to WASH OUR HANDS. But unfortunately, there was a problem. HAL does everything possible - including a paper-towel dispenser by the door in each public rest-room - asking to use the paper towel to open the doors and then toss the towel in the basket. There were no announcements but during the last few days all the hot-tubs were closed.

We enjoyed our balcony during this leg. After a rough night leaving Madiera, the Atlantic was like a lake - gently rolling seas and several nights of putting the clock back.

I have few complaints about our time on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I thought there were too many formal nights. And we had to leave the ship in FLL.

Publication Date: 01/02/13
Read the Transatlantic ports review by travelnnana
More Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Reviews