Celebrity Century Cruise Review by mompoole: The Little Ship That Could

The Little Ship That Could

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: San Diego

Flying to the west coast from the east is always a challenge for me. Once in San Diego all was fine. Check-in is a breeze.

Our cabin (in the belly of the ship - deck 4) was quiet and peaceful. We discovered that many of the storage nooks and crannies went unused during the trip. We could have brought two more suitcases!! Our cabin steward was accommodating and friendly. Everyone talks about the bathroom sinks on this ship. It looks like a pasta bowl. The faucet water does seem to leap out of the bowl at unexpected moments. I only mention this so you won't be surprised when it happens.

Dining: MDR was fantastic! Escargot is back and I ate plenty! We chose "select" dining and were able to get the same waiter every night. He was a hoot and was very popular with all the guests. Just ask for "Jimmy's section". The sommelier was a very sweet little French girl we had met on a previous Celebrity ship. It is amazing when we run into people we've met on More other ships. The Murano specialty restaurant is well worth the money. Just think of it as a dining "excursion". The lido buffet is what it is. I like the fact that they still use trays in the serving areas. This way one doesn't have to make multiple trips back to the table while getting drinks, soup, salads,sides, desserts., etc.

The staff was the friendliest of any ship we've ever been on. The Captain was mingling so much we laughed and wondered who was "driving this boat". Since we had obtained "elite" status, the free liquor during cocktail hour was a big draw. During this window of socialization, the ships' officers would mingle and chat. Very personal and pleasurable!

We went on several excursions in Hawaii. Trying not to over spend, we did not go for the big things..like a helicopter rides over volcanoes, etc. We did some bus tours and learned later on after buying Kona coffee at the actual plantation, that Walmart in Honolulu sells the same product for half the price.

June, the craft lady and somewhat comedian , was amusing as we made leis out of ribbon and nuts. That kept everyone busy on our way to the Islands.

Would I take this trip again. Yes, sometime. But I think I would like to return to Alaska before going back to Hawaii. Just my opinion. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century Oceanview Stateroom Vista Deck (9)

Even though we were on the 4th deck, mid-aft, the location was extremely quiet. Plenty of nooks and crannies for storage. The only complaint is that the hallways and even the cabin had a musty, mildew smell that did not go away.