Azamara Journey Cruise Review by ltcTN: Small Ship, Large Experience

Small Ship, Large Experience

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Other
Embarkation: Other

First time experience with Azamara Club Cruises. I am happy to say it will not be my last!

I did extensive research before booking this cruise. Recently widowed, my wife and I had a goal to touch every continent and Asia was next. This ship and line looked like it would fit the bill. I booked the cruise 9 months prior with a discounted single supplement. I included the air and pre/post hotel stays. It was definitely worth the 26 hour travel time to get to the debarkation port of Chennai, India. The following ports of Port Blair, Andaman Islands, Yangoon,Myanmar , Phuket, Thailand and finally Singapore were all exciting.

The first stop was Port Blair, Andaman Islands! WOW! Lets just say they need to fire the sanitation director! I tagged along with another couple that hired a Tuk-Tuk cab to drive us to the beach. I did not realize cows loved the beach! Raw beauty in Andamans!

We were the first ship to dock in Yangoon and spent three days there.
American More pop musician Jason Mraz was headlining a human rights concert in peoples park. A few from the cruise , including myself were in attendance along with 50,000 Burmese. What an Experience!

I did my only shore excursion in Myanmar. It was a Cooking experience and market tour. Definitely an eye opener for this spoiled American! The people of Myanmar are warm and loving. They were captivated by the influx of tourist. I can only imagine Colonial Burma!

Phuket is a bit touristy. Beautiful area but by this time I was really enjoying the ship and my fellow passengers.

Now to the ship. What a great ship. I have read and heard complaints of worn carpet, broken ice machines. My response is so what. It happens! I have been on inaugural cruises that have experienced breakdowns. What makes this cruise is the people and that includes both groups. The staff is over the top. Where can you have a casual conversation with the Captain? or lunch with the staff captain? In all of my cruises I have never had a staff person ask to join me for lunch.

The spa staff under the direction of Rose and the pool bar staff of Victor, Michael, Nicholas, Dale and Elig made my trip enjoyable at like a vacation with old friends. Tony Markey was wonderful as our cruise director.

Never say never but I am not sure I will take a large ship cruise anytime soon. The closeness of the small ship facilitates meeting your fellow passengers. Yes you meet people on a cruise but I can say I made friends! I miss the conversations already.

I took the plunge and booked an open booking for Azamara. Hopefully I can use it late 2013 or early 2014. If you ask me if you should consider Azamara, I respond with a resonding Yes! Less

Read more Azamara Journey cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Azamara Journey Review >>

Cabin review: Azamara Journey 7082

Cabin 7082 is real convenient to all activities and all decks of the ship. The only drawback to the room is the small shower. Yes it is a bit encroaching but not a deal breaker. The room steward Agus is over the top exceptional. The guest laundry is two doors up towards mid ship and across the hall. Windows Cafe is 2 flights up and Discoveries is 2 flights down. I would book the room again.

Singapore was the final stop and debarkation point of an 11 night cruise from Chennai, India ! Absolutely wonderful place to spend time. It is a bit expensive in the larger hotels and the upscale commercial areas. I spent a large amount of time in the old colonial neighborhoods, primarily Chinatown! I was able to secure a good deal on jewelry for my daughter and office staff. I can recommend Myers Jewelry but make sure you brush up on your bargaining skills and do not be ashamed to set your price and not move! Food abounds in the neighborhoods. We ate in the food court at Hawker Center and had a wonderful cultural experience. Singapore could easily be a destination trip of several days.