Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by SailB

Nieuw Amsterdam
Member Name: SailB
Cruise Date: November 2012
Cabin Category: VB
See More About: Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Nieuw Amsterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Nieuw Amsterdam Deck Plans
Nieuw Amsterdam 11/25-12/2
This was our third cruise, first with Holland and we loved it and are very much sold on Holland. We wanted a cruise to relax and this was perfect. I sat on our veranda and read, even had room service for coffee and fruit while DH slept a little later. There were so many activities if you wanted to participate and we or I did some: Trivia Game in Crow's Nest, crafts,lectures, cooking demonstration and movie theatre. I think that the food in main dining room was good, realizing that they are preparing for 2000 people. We ate at Pinnacle twice and Tamarind twice and felt that they both were certainly worth the surcharge. Our experience in the MDR was excellent, we went to late seating and were with two other couples who were pleasant. Although because everyone was going to specialty dining, everyone wasn't always there. Our waiters were so attentive and after the 1st night had a glass of ice-tea on the table waiting for DH. And when I went to Tea one afternoon, our waiter was serving and asked where DH was by name.

WE found the crew more than attentive and always a "good morning" when we were walking through the ship. From reading a few other reviews of this cruise, it almost seems like we were on different ships, but I realize everyone reacts differently. The only negative thing I can say about our week was the occasional whiff of smoke while I was on the veranda and of course the smoke in the casino. We are already planning 2013!

Ports:

Half Moon Cay-spent an hour on the beach which was beautiful.

Ocho Rios-Took ship's tour to botanic garden and pottery factory. It was pleasant and happily we were not hassled by anyone.

Grand Cayman- Walked around town and then took local tour of island.

Roatan-It was pouring and we didn't get off the ship....I went to the spa and enjoyed the massage!

Publication Date: 12/30/12