Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by NoHUB: Relaxing Hawaiian Getaway

Relaxing Hawaiian Getaway

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Overall the two week cruise to Hawaii from Los Angeles was a very relaxing and enjoyable vacation for my wife and I.

Cabin..Great location located close to the elevators and stairs and only one floor below the Lido deck where we spent a lot of our time. My wife and I spend a lot of time in the Hot tubs and swimming pools, on this ship we also enjoyed the Movies Under the Stars which are shown on the Lido deck. Our room was conveniently located just below the pools and movie screen making it fast and easy to get back and forth to our room from the place we liked to spend most of our day. The room was small but we spent very little time in our room and prefer to spend most of out time on deck anyway so having a room that is located near the buffet and other items we enjoy was very convientient.

I was disappointed in the menu, the chef's appeared to be trying way too hard to impress us with their custom sauces and overly complex flavors. The Itallian foods were good, but More the buffet and regular dining room food experience was dissappointing to say the least.

The Featured Performers that they brought onboard were outstanding, very funny while family friendly commedians, fantastic singers and celebrity impersonators, the main shows put on by the cruiseline showroom performers seemed a bit boring. The choreography and singing seemed to be too similar in all six of the shows, some of the same songs were used in multiple shows and the performers seemed to be tiring of doing the same shows three times a night every two weeks. The guests who were over 70 years old appeared to really enjoy the shows, but I found them to be too much of the same old song and dance to really appreciate them.

The cruise staff did a great job of trying to entertain the guests, the art sales and other items which could have very simply become a high preassure sales pitch were left pretty much to the daily announcments and I didn't feel any heavy sales pressure durring the cruise. Less

Read more Sapphire Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sapphire Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sapphire Princess Interior Double Plaza A-310

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park

(5)
While here with Ricky's Tours we saw Thurston Lava Tube, Steam Vents, Jaggar Museum, Halemaumau Crater/Kilauea Caldera, 1982 lava flow, Keanakakoi Crater, Kilauea Caldera. Ricky was very helpul even suggesting that we take photos of items when we first arrived in case the clouds moved in while we were inside the visitor center. The clouds did move in and if we had waited we would have missed the photos we had taken at his suggestion. He adjusted his tour to make the best use of the existing weather and once again his local knowledge paid off by making it possible to see things either before the clouds had moved in or after they had lifted. Thanks again Ricky. Ricky is very knowledgeable of the local area and history, he adjusted his tour schedule to make sure we arrived at places before the cruise ship bus tours did so we could avoid the big crouds. He even added a stop to at the local Walmart at the request of all the tour guests. He knew that a couple of Sea Turtles would be at Richardson Park and I got some great photos of them. He was very friendly and at $60. per person his tour is a great value as well as a fun day. HILO WATERFALL TOUR - Banyan Drive - Liliuokalani Garden - Rainbow Falls / Wailuku River - Mau Na Loa Mc Nut Co. / they have snack bar - Akatsuka Orchid Garden - Richardson Ocean Beach Park /black sand beach VOLCANO NATIONAL PARK TOUR - Steam Vents - Jaggar Museum - Halemaumau Crater / Kilauea Caldera - 1982 lava flow - Keanakakoi Crater - Kilauea Caldera - Thurston Lava Tube

Polynesian Cultural Center

(4)
A wonderful way to experience the culture of the islands. We were picked up and dropped off in front of the Cruise Ship and the ride to the PCC was full of fun information about the Island and it history. We really enjoyed the PCC the only complaint I have is about the traditional Luau meal. I was dissappointed with the food, and the seating arrangments, they had us lined up at banquet tables. It felt like I was attending a church sponsered "pot-liuck dinner", but at over $50. per person, I would have expected better seating arrangments that would allow all guests to see the stage and the performers without having to turn around from their dinner table. I had a very big camera with a large zoom lens, but I was seated behind a large pole making it impossible to get any photos of the performers, these were the seats that we were given after my wife requested better seats becasue the first seats we were given had the stage at our backs, to get any pictures, I would have to had turned around from the table just to see the stage. They even ran out of plates for desert and I had to wait in three or four lines to finally get a plate, by then all the deserts were gone because people with plates had taken four or five different deserts each. The show "HA, The Breath of Life" was very good, and I would be happy to see it again. I am glad I went to the PCC and saw the different villiages, but if I return again I will not bother to see them again. One time is enough. The only reason I would return to see the entire park would be to take my children or grandchildren, if I come back by myslelf, I would not bother to see the villiages a second time and I would only return for the show HA.

We just went shopping and spent time on the beach and in the ocean swimming behind the shopping center.
Read 237 Kauai Reviews

(5)
We did some shopping in the local maket under teh banyon tree and then took a taxi to the beach where we spent the day swimming in the ocean and relaxing on the beach.
Read 263 Maui Reviews