Costa Mediterranea Cruise Review by Woof4Grrrr: You Get What You Pay For

Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Costa Mediterranea Western Caribbean Cruises

You Get What You Pay For

Sail Date: December 2012

We booked last minute, got a very good deal, but got obstructed view veranda "guarantee". We got upgraded to an aft-facing Grand Suite with a huge wrap-around balcony, which was a very pleasant surprise. Our cabin was well-appointed and impeccably clean. It came with a number of extras. No complaints here.

Another nice surprise: we were astounded with how quickly luggage was delivered to the cabins.

Like with many of the other reviews, our complaints focus mostly on the dining experience.

We had a very unpleasant experience with the maitre d'. The second night, we arrived at our two-person table to find another couple seated. I had the card in my hand showing the printed table number. They had a card with the table number hand-scrawled on it. Had they given our table away? After showing the maitre d' our card, he noticed that it had the wrong cabin number on it. Our cabin steward had given us the wrong card. Okay, a mistake had been made. So what did he More do to correct it? He got belligerent with us, then he tried to seat us at a table for six. When we balked, he put us at an empty table for eight. After we sat, the waiter told us we were not allowed at that table. I told the waiter not to start with me, that I was already very angry. I told him the clear the other settings from the table, which he did. The next night, the maitre d' placed us at a deuce right under a stairway, with very hot halogen lights just over our heads. When I asked him to look again, he refused to talk with me.

On other cruises, if you don't want to have dinner in the main dining room, there is the option to go to the self-service buffet, but not on this cruise. The only thing available was very mediocre pizza. Fortunately, our upgraded grand suite included full-menu meal service. But standard cabins are stuck with a very limited room service menu for an extra fee or the lousy pizza.

Our cabin also came with a complimentary dinner in the extra-fee "steak house" restaurant. The service was excellent. The food was awful. The meat was of very low quality. Thank goodness we didn't have to pay extra for it.

Breakfast and lunch at the buffet was okay but was very limited and lacked variety. The same small selection every day. For 10 days. And always the bar staff hovering, trying to sell you drinks.

Our experiences with Guest Services were not particularly pleasant. Answers to questions were short and not very helpful. Maybe language was the problem? But more than half on board were American, so this is no excuse.

We come away knowing we paid very little and got what we paid for. Less

Read more Costa Mediterranea cruise reviews >>