“Good cruise but not great cruise:)”
Cruise review of Holland America Westerdam

Kim Fontaine Westerdam 3 Good cruise but not great cruise:)
Kim Fontaine
Member Since 2006
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Westerdam is a good ship: Easy to get around on and plenty of elevators for us seniors: Embarkation although a wait of over 1/1/2 hours... that might have been our fault; We offered to take the early shuttle as we were ready at that time: We had plenty of seating while waiting and when we did start the process it was less than 1/2 hour until we were seated in MDR for lunch: ( I chose grilled salmon; Delicious)After lunch we went to our rooms: Put away some of our things and waited for our luggage to arrive: About 1/2 hour prior to safety drill (3;15), the knock came.. thus we were busy unpacking... Plenty of space for all our clothing and toiletries: Suitcases fit well under bed: ( someone had closed the safe when they emptied it of their things thus , we had to contact the front desk to have it opened and the combination changed): I mention this only so others might realize by doing so it makes complications for the next guests: Sail-away was fun: many toots from the ship's captain and waves from those standing giving us a great bon voyage! Our 5:45 early dining time gave us little time to relax... before time to eat again:) We met our table mates ( 4 Canadians 2 who reside in Fl. and 2 in Vancouver) We had a good time swapping stories all week: At this point I might add our weight staff did a good job all week: Over all the food was very good but not excellent: No escargot or lobster on the menu: Entertainment: We attended two stage shows: We enjoyed both: Dancing and music the first time: pianist the second time: Shore excursions: I can take or leave half moon cay: Calm shells were spoken for long before I could get to the desk: ( We have to remain out of direct sun so didn't stay on the island for lunch: Took a bus tour at Grand Cayman: Ended us at the Dolphin swim place: No charge just to watch: Took several photos : Learning experience : no I wouldn't do it at my age but can see why the younger set would like this: Cozumel Been there done that: Key West: Took bus around the area: Went back to Hemingway's house: Love the cats: Took more pictures: Ate at a place called Blue Fish: Great food and plenty of it: Disembarkment: We chose Luggage direct: Everything was easy except getting off the ship so early: I would rate this cruise as a B plus: Probably would not do a 7 day cruise at Christmas time again: 10 day cruises are more our style: Early Dec. a little less hectic: Over all Holland America is a great cruise line:
Westerdam Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Rates
  • Service
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Large Outside Stateroom (partial sea views)

G4071
Plenty of closet and draw space: Great bed and mattress: TV was small: Sitting area with table room enough for 4: Although refrigerator not advertized , we used it for storing skim milk ( for meds taken before bed time): Bathroom plenty adequate with holding bars: We are seniors): Only complaint would be window behind life boat didn't get washed all week: Room 2071 partial view)

Dolphin Encounter
Tour went to the encounter: We were not charged to watched: Enjoyed watching the others participate: Yes would do this again:
Published 12/29/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Westerdam Review
Westerdam Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?