Carnival Legend Cruise Review by notaleno

Carnival Legend
Carnival Legend
Member Name: notaleno
Cruise Date: May 2005
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: 1A
See More About: Carnival Legend Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Legend - Southern Caribbean
The first thing you notice is the ghastly decor. It's like a cheap trophy shop exploded, and every square inch that can be stenciled is stenciled. It's very dark and not well ventilated, the smoking areas permeate most of the ship.

The staff is friendly but only people from Jamaica and South Africa speak decent English on board, and can understand a native English speaker.

The stateroom was well sized for two people; only dressing up for formal nights did we trip over each other. This would have been solved if we had a category 1D where the vanity is in the bathroom.

Two people in a stateroom is the max, any more than that would be just awful.

The food was atrocious. I'm a native Chicagoan and to me the pizza was crap, but all the New Yorkers on board liked it. It sucked, no tomato sauce and bland crust. The "poolside cafe" overcooked everything (think dry, charred burgers and wrinkled hot dogs) and Truffles was just bad with the food, great with the service. There wasn't so much as a speck of salt seasoning any food. In the main dining room the only food worth mentioning is the chocolate champagne cake they serve the first night. Don't miss it.

Also at lunch they have a great dessert selection in the Lido deck cafe, but the food is bland.

We went on our honeymoon and there were too many families for what I think we wanted. Very noisy and busy, and not very romantic or fun. You could never swim in the tiny pools because there were kids everywhere. great fr families though. Also the activities were all pretty early in the morning and we didn't want to get up, but that's another pro-family bonus.

Room service was not worth it, horrid food. Also DO NOT GET THE FOUNTAIN FUN CARD. I'm a person who drinks nothing but Sprite at home (about 8 cans a day) and I paid $50 for this card thinking I was getting a good deal for an 8 day cruise. Considering per drink you get half a can (they'd charge about $0.60 for that) it is physically impossible to recoup that $50 charge. Try the math.

The Golden Fleece supper club was worth it, and looking back I think I'd spend less money on rum runners and other frosty drinks and eat at the Golden Fleece every night but the first, last, and two formal nights (I'd eat at Truffles for those). That'd be 4 Truffles dinners and 4 Golden Fleeces (a $30 per person charge but you'll want to add a good bottle of wine).

The shore excursions pretty much sucked, except that we lucked onto Meagan's Bay in St. Thomas (that was beautiful and we only got 2 hours, but I needed six!). They weren't well explained and we didn't have enough time. I'd recommend a shorter cruise where you have a fuller day in your port of call. And no matter what you think (I'm not a shopper so believe me when I say this) you need to plan for shopping and they did not let us know how many shore excursions left us no time for shopping.

Still, it was nice to sit on the balcony drinking and reading in the sun, and as honeymooners of course we had fun. We ran up a huge bar tab, had some massages, and I enjoyed the spa services which were terrific.

I don't think I'd go back. The laundry facilities are all lacking and half broken, and the arcade is decrepit and uncared for. Less than half the games work. We could find no reason for our steward aside from the fact he was housekeeping. Combine that with the food and the shore excursions and I'd say this cruise is only good for large families or older couples.

Also, I should mention, the captain gave me the creeps. He'd hang out every night in the tiny nightclub and ogle the purser girls.

The nightly Vegas style shows were surprisingly good and I enjoyed them (though in the real world I loathe musicals).

I wouldn't recommend this to first time cruisers but for seasoned families and older couples this would be perfect.

Publication Date: 07/15/05