Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by qqmelodia: Family pre-Christmas cruise

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Bahamas Cruises

Family pre-Christmas cruise

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Six of us went to this cruise leaving NYC to FL and Bahamas. Booked it 3 months prior, not sure if we got the best rate, but this week's rate is quite reasonable for a mini-suite so we splurged on one, with my in-laws across in an interior cabin.
Husband and I have been seasoned cruiser, bringing along our 4 yrs old and 20mo old daughters. This is what i recalled for our cruise.

Positive:
1) Nick team was phenomenal. We love love love Dora, Diego and sponge bob. The meet and greet was very organized, and it moved quickly. Lot of activities for kids all ages, even under 2.
2) Love the welcome back party atmosphere when returning to the ship at Nassau, Diego was there to greet us back, and there were some guy on stilt too, it was quite a show. Even attracted some passenger from Disney dream to gawk from their balconies.
3)Service was quite consistent, some names popped up for us: Eric, our room steward was exceptional, always a smile to greet us with More names. Jiwan, in Tsar dinning room, was quite patient with us, kids and all.
4) Rooms was quite nice, with 4 in the room, it really never feel crowded. Ample storage space, and we brought a lot of stuff.

Room for improvement:
1)The under 2 Zoo's location is a bit odd, but it serves its purpose. Beware of strong wind when opening the door to the pool, it snaps back very quickly and can easily shorten a finger or two. Also, I always ponder why is the designated smoking section tables located right by the kiddie pool area? I keep smelling smoke when the kids were in the kiddie pool...not cool. They should consider moving it somewhere further away from the kids, imho.
2) Food wasn't exactly bad, we always managed to find something we like. Just a comment about the chocolate buffer being hosted on the last night, making the buffet extremely crowded, not really well thought out. oh, i would really like to see more variety of fruit being offered. BTW, the watermelon was horrendous, love the grapefruit.
3) Cruise director Dan the man was alright, i don't see him much except during shows. I think Jersey Joe was a bit funnier, his skit on Dancing with the Jewel star as a backstage correspondent was hilarious. I see him around the ship much more, and he is quite personable.
4) Great stirrup cay was pretty, but it has a lot of construction going on. we booked a clam shell on the ship, and I am glad we did, as it serves as a tender ticket so we don't have to wait in line to get one. i don't particularly like how close they are to each other, nor the site where they are placed, they were right next to a body of questionable water, and it was quite far back from the sea.
5) Kids club check in and check out was awfully slow, and in a really narrow location. That was the main reason why we didn't place our 4 yr old there much. we used it for less then an hour, and she didn't really ask to go back.

The bottom line is, we enjoyed the cruise, especially the kids. Love the nickelodeon theme, even for people that are not in the kids club, they would have something to do. I hope my review is helpful, as i often get a lot of helpful advice from here. Less

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel

11578 was located in the mid section, close to the elevators but not right out there. I was happy with the location. bigger balcony, and it is not exposed. However, it does get a bit of noise during kids club hour, as it is right underneath it.