Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by reggieru: Puerto Vallarta Excursion Sierra Madre

reggieru
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Puerto Vallarta Excursion Sierra Madre

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

We have sailed on Celebrity and now Carnival. Celebrity is custom and Carnival is more of a budget cruise in comparison. The main value in the Carnival was the ability to drive to the port for departure and avoid airfares. We had heard of possible security concerns in Mexico and did not experience any.
The ship was okay. It is a "Fun" ship, so expect a younger crowd with kids, etc.
If you want an older crowd with quiet areas, adult pools, etc. then this is not your ship.
If you have never been on a cruise and looking for price, then this could be for you, just don't judge all cruises by this one. In other words, don't expect the 5 star hotel when you book a room at Motel 6, if you get the analogy.
People who had never been on a cruise loved this one.
Those with groups liked this cruise.
The college age cruisers had fun and enjoyed the trip.
Those who were cruise veterans had many complaints.
I believe that this cruise used to have 3 ports: Cabo San More Lucas, Mazatland, and Puerto Vallarta. This has been changed to Cabo and P.V. I would have preferred 2 nights in P.V. but we had 2 in Cabo.
One highlight was the excursion to the Sierra Madres out of P.V. This was an 8 hour trip which included a fast boat ride about 30 minutes south of port, a yellow Mercedes jeep type vehicle, a guide with a wealth of information, a trip to a botanical garden, a small town to view the style of living and this town had no shopping, just viewing the town center, a church, the life, etc.
We experienced a small cheese factory out of a home, ranches, country side, tequila factory, great lunch, and a wonderful experience of the interior countryside. I highly recommend this excursion. Get a small taste of culture and something away from the fast paced city life. Like to see some nature and how others live? Then this is your trip. Only 6 in our group because others selected zip lines and party beaches. I will remember this trip. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Interior Lido 9256

9256 we liked being on the 9th floor. Room needs more power outlets.

Day one: took a excursion with Carnival to Pelican Rock, snorkeling, Lover's Beach. Many ways to get there and probably less expensive, but this trip was okay. Good guide and had fun. When you get back to the marina and taken to the photo area, the hot tip is to get pictures with parrots which are fairly well hidden. I paid them $5 and my wife was able to hold them and put a sunflower seed in her mouth only to have a parrot take it gently and give her a high five. Day2: Went on a 2 level party boat to snorkel at a spot about 1 hour away. Fun trip with music and drinks. Had an experience that I will never forget. Snorkeling was divided into 2 groups: first group with adults and 2nd group with kids. One of the staff was in a kayak and continued to feed the fish. If you followed the kayak, you saw lots of fish. The water was calm and no problems. THEN, all of a sudden, the water changed radically. Like a washing machine and rough. The boat's anchor came loose and the staff said to not come to the boat. So we treaded water for 20 minutes after snorkeling for 30 min. The boat was not able to have the anchor set. So they said to swim to shore. So we swam to shore and after 20 minutes they said to swim out to the boat. Waves knocked people down on the shore, some had no fins, the water was dangerous, and some were in difficulty, to say the least. NO LIFEGUARDS. Every man for themselves. I was like saying to my wife, let's swim for our lives. All had life vests or otherwise the news would have been reporting drownings for sure. I am a fairly strong swimmer, so I pushed 2 females without fins to the boat, about 120 yards out. There were 2 other who I had noticed on the beach who were really scared. One guy really couldn't swim well. I looked for him and he was in trouble. I dove back in and got him to the boat. Bottom line: Nature is a force to reckon with. Party boat had no rescue ropes or ??? Cruise ship had to reposition for tender boats. Be VERY CAREFUL if not a strong swimmer.

Sierra Madre Eco Safari

(5)
Great excursion which included a first class tour guide. Sandra is a double major with Biology and Communication. She was wonderful and if you had questions, she had answers. This trip gave us a great insight to life away from the city, we saw a small town, their town center and church, had a fantastic lunch oat a ranch, visited a tequilla factory, botanical garden, cheese factory, and saw things that you just wouldn't see or experience in the city. No shopping. Just a wonderful excursion and a learning experience.