Carnival Legend Cruise Review by bsharynu

Cruise Date: December 2012
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: 8D
        3-6 4.0

Great Overrall Family Vacation on Legend (12/16)
There were 4 of us traveling. Myself and my husband and 2 children, ages 5 and 3. We had a great time. For me, it actually felt like a vacation as opposed to just being away but still having to "work". There are many negative reviews of the Legend on CC, and you have to take them with a grain of salt. Some people just like to complain. You aren't on a luxury ship with 5 star quality food, and you shouldn't expect that. But, you are going to get a great vacation as a whole and that is what matters.

Embarkation - We arrived to the port around 11:30am. Embarkation was very smooth and we were probably onboard by noon. (We didn't wait very long in the waiting area). A staff member at the port saw we were travelling with little ones and she let us get onboard before our zone was called.

Ship Decor -- My husband said the decorations were a little gaudy, but I expected it from reading other reviews. They were lavish, and it didn't bother me. I liked the ship as a whole. Yes, there were urns everywhere. My kids called them trophies. They would go up to one of the urns, give it a hug, and say. "my trophy". Some of the elevators had been defaced and Carnival cleaned it up by scratching it out. It is really too bad what happened, but it is way too costly to replace the elevator doors, so they did the best they could. I am sure when Legend gets the 2.0 upgrade, they will get new elevator doors. The ship was clean.

Stateroom - We had a balcony midship on the Empress deck (deck 6). The room was clean and in great shape. We had a king bed, sofabed, and then a top bunk. I found the beds to be comfortable and the room was spacious enough for 4 people. The sofabed and top bunk weren't as comfortable as the other beds.

Food -- The food was good. Not great, but it was good. Some dishes came out very hot and others were just warm. There were always plenty of choices, and I will choose Carnival meals over cooking any day. :) We had breakfast in the MDR everyday but 1. It was easier for us to be served and relax a little then deal with buffet and lines on the Lido deck. There was an omelet bar on the Lido deck which was a plus for breakfast. The MDR menu was the same every day. We had Anytime Dining, and it worked out great for us. We didn't have to rush for the 6pm dinner slot. The service was good, and the hostess always asked if we had a server preference. We sat by ourselves each night.

Camp Carnival -- My kids are 3 and 5 and were grouped together. They loved the kid's camp and always wanted to go back. They gave us a cellphone to keep in touch, if needed. The last day was pretty rocky and they asked us to check in every 30 minutes. Very handy to have the phone. The activities were varied but nothing too spectacular. The kids had fun and that is all that mattered. I never worried about leaving my kids there.

Shows -- We didn't get to see any of the shows except for the holiday show the last day because of having a 3 and 5 year old with us. I saw a few minutes of a couple of the shows but that is it. I liked that there was a choice of the show or comedy show. It didn't seem like any of the shows were that great based on other reviews.

Ports -- Cozumel -- We booked the Dolphin Encounter through Carnival. It was at the Dolphinaris. We got delayed getting off the ship (as did others) and I think that probably messed up their schedule there. They ended up giving us free snorkeling and upgraded our package to the swim and ride. Very fun and highly recommend. (Make sure to take lots of cash or a Visa/MC and not Amex). Belize -- We just walked around the port and then got back on the ship. Would love to go back without the kids or when they are older and do cave tubing or zip lining. Roatan -- We walked to Mahogany Bay Beach and had a free day at the beach. We walked to the beach and it wasn't a long walk. They have chair lifts like ski lifts that will also take you there, but it isn't worth the money. Grand Cayman -- We booked the Land & Sea tour through Carnival. The semi-sub tour was neat, but we didn't see as many cool fish as I expected. The land tour was ok. I liked the turtle farm and being able to hold the turtles. If you book privately, it is definitely less expensive, but we liked the peace of mind booking with Carnival and didn't want to chance things with the little ones.

Deembarkation -- It is a bit quicker getting off the ship if you carry all your luggage off. We didn't do that. We were in zone 11 for deembarkation which was a 10:00am time slot. We waited in the lounge to be called and were back in our car around 11am. (That was a bit later than I thought we would be off the ship but things didn't seem too chaotic).

Publication Date: 12/28/12