Carnival Dream Cruise Review by cruzncouple

Embarkation: Port Canaveral
        10-12 4.0
Value-for-Money 5+

12/8/12
I will start by saying that I am one that frowns upon the "negative Nellies" that post about how the color of the carpet ruins a vacation. I am very fortunate I am on vacation in the Caribbean blue water and not at work, enough said!

That being said, we started our 18 hour drive from Ohio to Orlando on Thursday evening and arrived at La Quinta West on Friday afternoon. We traveled with 8 adults and 1 child (10 years). Our hotel was what we expected. A place to sleep and relax before we boarded the Dream in the morning. We didn't need anything more.

We headed to Park and Ride about 9:30 am. Arrived about 10:30ish. Very smooth shuttle service. Reserved online, 6.99/Day. After We arrived at the port, we were on-board in no more than 30 minutes. Carnival has this down to a science, very professional.

Ports:

Cozumel- We took a taxi to Paradise Beach, a few of the boys paid the $12 for the water toys. The rest of us paid for the chairs and soaked up the sun. Very peaceful afternoon. Taxi's were waiting to take us back to port when we were ready, we shopped and then boarded to get ready for dinner.

Belize- Most of us have been here before and we had nothing planned so 4 of us decided to venture to Belize to shop, and the rest stayed and enjoyed the empty ship. There isn't much shopping at the Pier and it is somewhat expensive.

Roatan- We booked our excursion through Victor Bodden. We did the Sun and Fun tour. We all loved this adventure and we really liked the tour of Roatan. Very informative. We then went to West Beach and I will say this was the best snorkeling we found on our vacation. This was by far the worst beach I have ever encountered as far the pestering hair braiders, taco sellers, massage ladies, fake Oakley's... etc. Very annoying, but it DID NOT ruin my vacation. A simple "no thank you" every 3 minutes worked well. They had us back to the Pier with more than enough time to shop.

Costa Maya- Been here before, And this is my favorite port hands down! WARNING>>>>> when you go to get a taxi they will try and sell you all inclusive packages for $25 a person. They will tell you that you will pay to rent a chair. DONT BUY THEIR SALES PITCH. This is false! We took a taxi to Mahahual. Walked the beach and had fun shopping. We found Sergio at Coco Corona. He took great care of us. Free bucket of beer. A few shots of Tequila (for those brave enough). Lets just say we had probably 5 buckets and a few shots of Tequila and our bill was $45. Much cheaper than the $25/pp they wanted to charge us at the taxi stand. Sergio handed us off to a taxi driver when we were ready to head back. Back at the pier we shopped and realized how much we drank at the beach! So back to the ship....

The ship itself is gorgeous! Our cabins were on the Deck 8, we used the stairs more than the elevators because we were so close to everything.

Dinners- We had early dinning. Enjoyed the Crimson dinning room every night. Tried many new foods.

We only ate breakfast in the Dinning room one time. To us, it wasn't much different than the buffet. And it took a lot longer. As with any vacation, yes we get a little tired of the same 'ol buffet food. But again, I'm not cooking or cleaning so all is good.

Shows- The Dancers were awesome, The marriage show is hilarious. Loved the Adult Comedy Shows.

The Slides are so fun! Yes I am in my 40's and I enjoyed all of them!

This is the largest ship I have been on, and I loved it. I would definitely do it again!

We had 4 in an inside cabin, and it was tolerable. I will definitely try a cove balcony next time. I have never had an inside cabin before and was a bit hesitant. But after this experience, I would do it again. The amount of time We spent in the cabin was NOT worth paying more money for it. I don't regret one MINUTE of this vacation!

Publication Date: 12/27/12