Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by Scrapnana: Family on the Fantasy

Compare Prices on Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Family on the Fantasy

Sail Date: December 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

With all the hype about the new ship, I was expecting to be "wowed". In many ways I was but not completely.

The Cabin - We had two adjoining. Great size and the huge porthole was fun for all to sit in. Plenty of storage. I wanted to bring the entire bed with bedding home it was so comfortable. Well appointed rooms and always kept in good repair. The split baths were great and the small round tubs were especially nice for bathing small children.

The Shows - with the exception of the last show they were excellent. Our favorite was "Aladdin". The quality of the performance was outstanding. We had an illusionist on board who was very good. Numerous movies play continuously throughout the day and evening. New Disney/Pixar films will show on board the day they are released. We saw Monsters Inc. 3D at midnight on the day it was released.

The Food - The food in the main dining rooms was good. Portions were small but you good order more than one if you More were hungry or just couldn't decide what you wanted. The buffet in Cabanas was only so-so. They had some items (like the carvery roast beef that was wonderful while other things (shrimp, corned beef, crab legs, etc.) were disappointing. The burgers and hot dogs in Flo's Cafe were horrible.

Kid's Programs - There was something for every age level. Even the 3 and unders got to make things. This is one of the areas where Disney excels.

Public Spaces - The ship is nicely decorated in an Art Deco theme and the Christmas decorations made it festive. There are many quiet nooks and crannies where you can get away from others if you choose. The adult areas were peaceful and a nice way to get away from 1000+ children. The pools were quite small and usually packed with kids.

Pirate night - Disney puts on a performance about Captain Jack and then there are fireworks and a dance party. Many (including adults) go all out with some very authentic looking pirate costumes.

Dress code - Disney says there is one formal night and one semi-formal on the 7 night cruise. Very few people actually follow this.

Character Meetings - Disney offers plenty of chances for kids of all ages to meet, get an autograph from and a picture with their favorite Disney characters.

Cast Members - We did not have any thing put positive interactions with the people working on the ship. Your server knows you and your preferences in a day. The assistant server would even cut up the food for the kids.

All in all it was a great cruise so I would give it a 5. Less

Read more Disney Fantasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Fantasy Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Fantasy 7516

7516 (and part of the family was in 7514 - adjoining rooms) was a great cabin. Being a new ship, everything is in excellent condition. The space was very roomy (it was a deluxe family room) and had more storage than I have ever had on a ship. 7516 had a queen-size bed, single convertible sofa and a pull down bed. 7514 also had an upper berth pull down bed. The split bath is really handy. The flat screen TV is mounted so that you can swivel it to either side of the privacy curtain so that one can sleep in part of the room and someone else could watch TV in the other side. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were excellent. The cabin was very quiet and close to the laundrette.

Castaway Cay is very well maintained although you could still see some of the results of Hurricane Sandy. Unfortunately, a front came through shortly after we arrived and most (if not all) of the optional activities had to be cancelled. The rain came in and the temperature dropped considerably. The Disney cast members continued on and tried to make the best of it.

There were a number of shore excursions available but I chose to wander around on my own. A local told me about the free trolley service that makes loops around the city (I wish Disney had mentioned this but I understand that cruise lines want you to take their tours). The trolleys are not sightseeing tours but are a great way to get an overview of the city and there are a number of stops so you can get off and investigate an area of interest. One of the trolley stops (number 14 as I remember) is right by the pier. I enjoyed my inexpensive tour around the city.
Read 1380 San Juan Reviews

I was not feeling well on the day we docked in St. Thomas so I just walked around the Havensight area. There were plenty of stores and a couple of restaurants.
Read 2342 St. Thomas Reviews