Richard With Cruise Review by gerrmack: Onboard Hurtigruten... Richard With

Onboard Hurtigruten... Richard With

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Embarkation: Bergen

For background we came acrosss the Atlantic by the Queen Mary one of the most luxurious ships afloat so a comparison to that ship is difficult.
From all the literature, I was expecting quite a bit older working ship but it does jhold over 600 people very comfortably but there are several things they do not tell you (or they didnt tell me=.
Bergen is a really nice tight town, so no matter which hotel you stay at in the downtown area, you can walk most places ----dont miss the funnicular. We stayed at the Rica Hotel and the rooms are small but functional, very lean and the breakfast is the best we have seen so far on our 2 month trip.

Taxis are quite expensive so by taking a downtown hotel, you can walk the 6 blocks or so.'
Embarkation was a bity confusing as you can register at one time, board at another and put your luggage in at another. I had read that we had to carry our own luggage to the cabin and that is not true, they do have a checkin belt.
Cabins are More fine, they are cleaned every day. Staff varies like most smaller ships, some very helpful, some do not speak english but you can get by. Most of the passengersa are Norwegian.

Breakfast and lunch are the better meals in that you have a choice. Dinner is a fixed menu and if you dont like it--go hungry unless they can do something else which we havent tried yet. So far dinner has been fine. Wtare is aty a premium in the sense that they would rather sell you wine at a ridiculkaous price or sell you water in bottles but the regular water is double filtered and is fine , you just have to keep reminding them to refill.

They do have wifi in the front of deck 4 but it is very very unreliable even when in port. I found a bank of 5 desktops hidden away a bit that work well but I didnt see any advertising for it except obn one floor plan.
If you do come, go to the excursions dewsk ASAP to pick up the English version on their book. Very good but they ran out of copies

Their coffee and tea package is OK, it all depends on how much you drink but the little thermos cups you get do work well. Less

Published 12/27/12

Read more Richard With cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Richard With Review >>

Compare Prices on Richard With Cruise to Nowhere Cruises

Cabin review:

I always choose low and midship even if it costs a bit more to alleviate any seasickness. I was in 344 and the cabin is fine but it is just under the kids playground on level 4 so quite oftebn during the day you will hear little feet running upstairs. It probably extends for a few cabins on our floor. I also stay away from elevatyors, laundries etc

Skip X