Carnival Magic Cruise Review by andrek: Amazing Time on the Magic

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Amazing Time on the Magic

Sail Date: December 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

I just wanted to give all of you who helped us so much for our trip, a quick review. We arrived at the dock around 1pm. I dropped my husband off and went to EZ parking and left our car there. It was only a block away from the dock so easy to get back to. My husband had moved up in the line to make it indoors the building. It was already about 20 minutes waiting. It looked like a Disneyland line once we got indoors and it took about another 25 minutes to get to check in. After that we were on the ship and in our cabin at about 2pm. My husband was sure that we made a mistake not paying the $50 to go to the front of the line, but it only took an hour and I spent the $50 on drinks instead!

Our cabin was on the 11Th deck and it was a spa cabin. We heard so much about the spa that we wanted to spend most of our time there. It was an additional $100pp over what we had originally paid, to upgrade and we felt it was well worth it. We had a lovely balcony and the cabin was very More comfortable.We loved having happy hour, from the mini bar, on our balcony and just relaxing and resting in the warm sun. Our room steward was Jose and he was excellent. Our cabin was spotless all the time.

We decided that we would eat in the Steakhouse at least 2 nights and the Italian restaurant 2 nights as we did not want to wait in line for dinner as we had anytime dining. The first night we ate at the Steakhouse. It was amazing. The service was special and the ambiance was very nice. The food was probably better than any Steakhouse I have eaten at in Texas. We loved it so much that we signed up for a third night. It was well worth the extra $35 per person. The Italian restaurant was also excellent and we loved it. The menu is a bit limiting, but I had one of the bests New York steaks there.

We ate in the dinning room on Formal nights only. There was only a small wait as we lined up at 5:30pm both nights. The service and food was excellent. As was the food at the comedy brunch in the MDR on sea days. The only area that my husband had a problem with was the Lido buffet. It was always crowded and chaotic. It had very good food selections but everything was spread out so it took a long time to collect your food. I liked the coffee very much. It was dark and strong. The bars were good and the drinks had lots of alcohol in them.

Probably the only negative of the trip for me was the lack of real entertainment as compared to other cruise lines. There were a couple of shows in the main theatre and comedians were in another theatre every night. It was okay, but not worth staying up for. The two or three singing groups were very good throughout the ship.

The spa was the best! We went there every morning after breakfast and used the Thalassotherapy pool, steam rooms and saunas. After we went up to the serenity deck to relax in the sun. It was never crowded in the spa.
We did not go to the pool but the aft pool was generally frequented by adults.

The ports were just okay, but we did not care as we were on the cruise to rest and not sight see. We did like walking around Key West. The little towns became so full of tourists that we just headed back to the ship after a little shopping. We did get some great deals at the Coach factory store in Key West. I recommend that highly.

The shops on the ship were pricey and I did not really need anything. My husband did buy a nice watch and we bought some liquor to bring home with us as we were driving and the prices were very good.

Disembarking was a breeze. We woke up at 7:40 and were in our car driving home at 8:10. We self disembarked and we just walked off the ship. If you want to get an early start and not get stuck in lines, I highly recommend getting off as soon as possible.

We had a great time. We had a great rest. I would go again if there were better ports. The ship was very nice. The service could not be better.

I hope this helps anyone planning a trip on this ship. If you would like to contact me I will be happy to answer any questions that I can.
Andrea Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Balcony Panorama 11236

Very good location. Close to the Spa but far enough away for more privacy. Neighbors could be slightly heard, but overall pretty quiet. Balcony was nice. Not very large but had room for 2 chairs and table. Cabin was spacious and very clean. Good storage. Could hear everyone in the hallway

Easy to reach. Walking distance from the Ship to downtown.
Read 734 Key West Reviews