Golden Princess Cruise Review by Dragongourd: Wonderful experience overall

Wonderful experience overall

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Los Angeles

This is my 6th cruise and the 3rd with Princess. I traveled with my sister and we really enjoyed the relaxing experience that gave us time to reminisce and also time for fun and shopping. We had assigned early seating and that worked out very well for us. We were always back on board in time for dinner and finished in time to get a good seat for the shows. On this trip we had 14 people who were using service dogs on board and they made the experience interesting and delightful. They were seated at the front row for the shows so there would be room for their dogs, and I was surprised at some rude people who insisted on climbing over the dogs to go from one side of the theater to the other.

We enjoyed many of the history presentations and also the entertainment. The singers and dancers are so full of energy and you can tell they enjoy their "work".

I took some hula lessons and was able to perform on stage with other dancers and the ukulele players. What a unique More and fun experience.

Our waiter, Juan, and his assistant, made our mealtimes special. He is a delightful person who saw to our every need and often anticipated our selections. We were served very quickly, never had to wait long for a course, and thoroughly enjoyed some new taste sensations during the cruise.

We really enjoyed the food at all the venues. There was a good selection in the Horizon Court and there were interesting choices at the outside food stations, both the permanent ones and the special ones like the Asian buffet, pasta station or the dessert station.

My sister is smoker so she made many friends at the small smoking section on deck. A few days it was pretty cold and windy there, though.

Our cabin steward, Crispin, greeted us often as we came and went from the cabin. If we left the cabin and returned within a short time, our room was already refreshed. He made us feel like queens. :-)

We really enjoyed the excursions we booked, particularly the zipline. I'd recommend that to anyone! Our guides on all the excursions were fun, friendly and knowledgeable. I actually took almost 600 pictures during the cruise.

We enjoyed looking at the art and attending one of the auctions, although our purse strings didn't allow for us to purchase any of the beautiful art. We did enjoy the shopping events and were able to buy a few things to bring home for family.

One thing I missed that I had on other cruises was the cleverly folded towels that I found on my bed when I came in for the night. But that's a small thing and didn't detract from our experience.

All in all, it was a wonderful cruise and I'm looking forward to my next one. I'd like to see Australia and New Zealand. Maybe in 2014. Less

Read more Golden Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Golden Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Golden Princess Interior Double Aloha Deck A237

The only glitch in our cabin was a lamp next to the bed that seemed to have a short. If I tapped it a few times, the light would remain steady, though.

Akaka Falls

(3)
I enjoyed the tour, but since we had several stops, I don't think we were given enough time at each one. I would have liked to linger a bit longer to take pictures.

We stopped along the way at many places, including the Byodo-In Temple, lovely beaches and a great place to have tempura shrimp and shave ice. We went to the beach where the sea turtles come up and bask in the sun. We did see some in the water but none basking
Read 265 Honolulu Reviews

Zip-Lining

(5)
What a thrilling experience! The zipline was the highlight of the cruise for both my sister and me. Our guides were professional, yet fun and helpful. The scenery was fabulous, and even though we got pretty wet in the rain at first, the clouds seemed to part whenever we headed out on one of the 7 lines, and we were dry through those. There was a pool at the bottom where you could swim, but it was rainy and a little too cold for those in our party. All in all, it was fabulous and I'd like to try the tubing if I have the opportunity to go again.

(4)
On Maui we just stayed around the port, visiting shops and having lunch at Moose McGillicuddy's. Great food there. We really enjoyed the free time to wander, shop and people watch. Maybe next time we'll take an excursion there.
Read 265 Maui Reviews