Azamara Quest Cruise Review by Spitfire8: Azamara Quest BEST CRUISE FOR US

Azamara Quest BEST CRUISE FOR US

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

This is our first Azamara Cruise but our 4th different cruise line. We did NOT have small children with us so my advice is that the Quest is Not a cruise ship for small children. (Try Carnival for those). But the party we were with ranged in age from 14 to active seniors. We had a blast. The passenger number was big enough to feel fun, festive but never crowded nor were we ever in a long line for anything. There was no feeling of being in a "herd" of folks at an "all you can eat" buffet. Much more tasteful and refined.

RE: the ship itself, it was beautifully built and designed. No expense was spared and no detail was overlooked. Our accommodations were the best we've had on any ship.

We had a veranda (w/balcony) large enough for 3 of us to sit and eat breakfast outside each moning. WHILE watching the Adriatic Sea or Meditteranean islands come to view. Though all cabins are not as big as hotel rooms, we were pleasantly surprised at how comparatively roomy our More cabin was.

Our teenage daughter was with us and had a pull out sofa bed, along our queen sized bed, and we felt snug but not cramped. We managed to eat breakfast most mornings on the veranda, with stunning and changing views. Also had tea time on the veranda, or watched the sunset....glorious to have that chance.

The food was EXCELLENT. I'm a food snob and daughter of a chef. Sometimes you have great food on ships and other times you feel as if you are in a cattle herd waiting to gorge on abundant but mediocre food.
NOT SO HERE.... THIS ship knows how to present perfectly made, generously proportioned, artfully presented exotic dishes...at every meal. My father would have approved. I cannot over emphasize how tasty and creative the food was. I believe the trip served me some of the finest dishes I've had, anywhere

The activity level is unusual with this ship, b/c of its' size & purpose. We were able to enter smaller, more unusual port cities, and that makes a huge difference. We were able to join EVERY activity we wished to, b/c we didn't have so many passengers that it was crowded. IT was simply a perfect trip.

We ate well, we saw intensely beautiful, ever changing scenery with historical sociological presentations available each evening prior to a new destination.

This cruise is NOT for you IF you want a lot of time at sea...that is not a criticism of those who prefer that, just a fact that you'll wake up in a new city most mornings. And you will want to explore all day and then come back to a FINE meal and great wine list each night.

If you prefer long days at a floating pool (and sometimes that IS what we want), then this is not the cruise for you. There are also not many activities in the day ON the ship, compared to Carnival ships that cater to families who have no problem staying on board the whole trip.

If you prefer different types of cities, exploring them and moving on, you'll love Azamara's Quest. If you prefer having great food and decent to great entertainment at night on board, rather than staying in the port, then go this route. Each night also offered an educational event that was optional). Sometimes we were in that mood, other times we went to hear the comedian, who was from LA and has a decent record of prime time (Clean) material. Kudos to him. Always something to dance to AND always a casino for gambling.

Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the room service quality. I've NEVER had a "butler" assigned to our room who really did act like a butler. Our daughter had room service as did we, often. It felt as if we were billionaires and truly was the trip of a lifetime.

PS-- the price of the trip included tips and fees AND wine, so we didn't get hit for wine at dinner every night OR feel pinched at every port. The tours cost extra but we paid in advance so IF we'd wanted to, we could in theory leave our money behind.

My only regret is that we packed too many activities into our days. I did not gain weight despite how much I ate, b/c we WALKED SO MUCH... 4-7 miles a day...But normally I prefer some hanging out time to wander about.

But that "regret" pales in comparison to the value of seeing all that we saw. Learned so much. Best trip of my life so far and If I win the lottery, a trip on the AZAMARA QUEST would be my gift to loved ones. Less

Read more Azamara Quest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Azamara Quest Review >>

Cabin review: Azamara Quest Club Veranda Stateroom Six

Having a veranda is wonderful. We had outdoor "privacy" with a constantly spectacular view..But inside our room late at night, we did hear noise from the band playing above us. That would be one negative. As usual on a ship, the bathroom needs more space AND OR the closet needs room for the empty luggage/suitcases...(maybe under the bed??) The TV service, excellent. Loved the safe for valuables, and the room service was THE BEST I've had anywhere, land or sea. The term "Butler service" was accurate and treasured AND included in the cost. Felt well treated and felt safe. Passengers were fun and not snobby, but acted with tact & courtesy.

Catacombs

more interesting than expected, but a bit too close for cmfort.

City Tour

City tour was informative but too fast/superficial..I'd rather see less, but learn more.

Colosseum

This was the trip of a lifetime for my husband, my daughter and myself. I just loved it. It was first class the whole way, and I mean that in every way. The ship was stunningly made & well appointed. The cabins were tasteful & comfortable, with unbeatable views of the world's most scenic vistas. The food was GOURMET all the way, and the service was wildly great. I learned so much and saw so much. Truly I could not have dreamed of a better trip.

Private Tour

n/a...someone else booked it for us and I only recall one snafu on departure from VENICE

Sistine Chapel

too spiritual, too beautiful for me to say with mere words. Go see it and take it in...