Azamara Quest Cruise Review by Spitfire8

Cruise Date: July 2011
Embarkation: other
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 1B
See More About: Azamara Quest Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Azamara Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Rates 5+

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Azamara Quest Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Azamara Quest Deck Plans
Azamara Quest BEST CRUISE FOR US
This is our first Azamara Cruise but our 4th different cruise line. We did NOT have small children with us so my advice is that the Quest is Not a cruise ship for small children. (Try Carnival for those). But the party we were with ranged in age from 14 to active seniors. We had a blast. The passenger number was big enough to feel fun, festive but never crowded nor were we ever in a long line for anything. There was no feeling of being in a "herd" of folks at an "all you can eat" buffet. Much more tasteful and refined.

RE: the ship itself, it was beautifully built and designed. No expense was spared and no detail was overlooked. Our accommodations were the best we've had on any ship.

We had a veranda (w/balcony) large enough for 3 of us to sit and eat breakfast outside each moning. WHILE watching the Adriatic Sea or Meditteranean islands come to view. Though all cabins are not as big as hotel rooms, we were pleasantly surprised at how comparatively roomy our cabin was.

Our teenage daughter was with us and had a pull out sofa bed, along our queen sized bed, and we felt snug but not cramped. We managed to eat breakfast most mornings on the veranda, with stunning and changing views. Also had tea time on the veranda, or watched the sunset....glorious to have that chance.

The food was EXCELLENT. I'm a food snob and daughter of a chef. Sometimes you have great food on ships and other times you feel as if you are in a cattle herd waiting to gorge on abundant but mediocre food.

NOT SO HERE.... THIS ship knows how to present perfectly made, generously proportioned, artfully presented exotic dishes...at every meal. My father would have approved. I cannot over emphasize how tasty and creative the food was. I believe the trip served me some of the finest dishes I've had, anywhere

The activity level is unusual with this ship, b/c of its' size & purpose. We were able to enter smaller, more unusual port cities, and that makes a huge difference. We were able to join EVERY activity we wished to, b/c we didn't have so many passengers that it was crowded. IT was simply a perfect trip.

We ate well, we saw intensely beautiful, ever changing scenery with historical sociological presentations available each evening prior to a new destination.

This cruise is NOT for you IF you want a lot of time at sea...that is not a criticism of those who prefer that, just a fact that you'll wake up in a new city most mornings. And you will want to explore all day and then come back to a FINE meal and great wine list each night.

If you prefer long days at a floating pool (and sometimes that IS what we want), then this is not the cruise for you. There are also not many activities in the day ON the ship, compared to Carnival ships that cater to families who have no problem staying on board the whole trip.

If you prefer different types of cities, exploring them and moving on, you'll love Azamara's Quest. If you prefer having great food and decent to great entertainment at night on board, rather than staying in the port, then go this route. Each night also offered an educational event that was optional). Sometimes we were in that mood, other times we went to hear the comedian, who was from LA and has a decent record of prime time (Clean) material. Kudos to him. Always something to dance to AND always a casino for gambling.

Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the room service quality. I've NEVER had a "butler" assigned to our room who really did act like a butler. Our daughter had room service as did we, often. It felt as if we were billionaires and truly was the trip of a lifetime.

PS-- the price of the trip included tips and fees AND wine, so we didn't get hit for wine at dinner every night OR feel pinched at every port. The tours cost extra but we paid in advance so IF we'd wanted to, we could in theory leave our money behind.

My only regret is that we packed too many activities into our days. I did not gain weight despite how much I ate, b/c we WALKED SO MUCH... 4-7 miles a day...But normally I prefer some hanging out time to wander about.

But that "regret" pales in comparison to the value of seeing all that we saw. Learned so much. Best trip of my life so far and If I win the lottery, a trip on the AZAMARA QUEST would be my gift to loved ones.

Publication Date: 12/22/12