Carnival Glory Cruise Review by CarnivalChick1116

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Glory Cruise Review by CarnivalChick1116
Carnival Glory
Public Rooms 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Sailing on the Glory was extremely pleasing!
My husband (29) and I (28) traveled with our two friend (26 & 30) and had a great time aboard the Carnival Glory. I will try to make this review as detailed as possible for future cruisers on this ship and with this cruise line! :)

EMBARKATION: We arrived at Port of Miami at noon, and was on the ship by 12:30pm. There were not that many people there at that time and I was surprised that we were able to get on-board so early! We waited a lot longer on our last cruise in 2007 and it appears as though for this particular sailing Carnival had everything together and running smoothly with no hiccups!

ARRIVING ONBOARD: Once on-board the Blue Iguana Cantina was open and serving scrumptious tacos and burritos with a full condiment and salsa bar. Guy's Burger Joint was also up and running and their burgers were equally amazing! Try the "Chilius Maximus" - it is great, along with their fries. After eating we decided to see if our cabins were ready - and they were - around 1pm. Cabins were spotless and bed was well made. Two minutes after we were in our cabin and had put our carry on bags down our cabin steward, Bernil, came to the door to see if there was anything that we needed and to let us know that if we ever need him, don't hesitate to contact him on the housekeeping line. He was fantastic our entire stay on-board and we felt to tip him above and beyond was warranted. If you have him you will be pleased. Our luggage arrived around 4pm which was the earliest I have ever seen it arrive on my cruises, and everything was there as it was packed.

SHIP DECOR/CLEANLINESS: The ship just went through dry-dock in November and the Funship 2.0 upgrades were added. You can tell that the ship was cleaned and some areas were freshly painted as well. In the Amber Palace / Auditorium, all the seating upholstery has been redone. Each day we were docked you the crew was cleaning the glass elevators one at a time, and you would see them constantly sweeping and mopping. The decor itself was very nice.

DINING:

- BREAKFAST

For our first breakfast on Monday (our first sea day) we ate in the main dining room and it was the Punchliner Comedy Brunch. The menu was very good and so was the food. My husband had Huevos Rancheros and I had your basic scrambled eggs with bacon and toast (I'm boring, I know). Everything was great. The wait staff also brings pastries to you if you want them including banana bread, lemon cake/bread, lemon and raspberry filled puff pastries, apple pastries, and the such. The other mornings we did open seating or the Red Sail Lido buffet. We preferred the open seating as it was more relaxed and you didn't have to wait in a long line to get your food. Other things we tried was the "Funny French Toast" which is French toast encrusted in your favorite cereal, Eggs Benedict, and various cereals and all were good.

- LUNCH

As I mentioned before, for a quick bite to eat the Blue Iguana Cantina and Guy's Burger Joint were the ones we constantly ate at. We never waited more than 5 minutes at Guy's and never more than 10 at Blue Iguana Cantina. The Red Sail Buffet area was almost always slow and had a long line (no fault of the crew, it was the passengers that were slow in getting their food) so we only ate there twice. We ate at Fish N Chips and waited about 20 minutes. The line was long, and the service was slow because everything was prepared fresh. It was worth the wait that day and the fish was fresh and delicious - however we chose to eat at Blue Iguana Cantina and Guy's for lunch most days if we were not in port.

- DINNER

For dinner, we always ate in the Golden Dining Room as we opted for the "Your Time" dining. Each time no matter when we arrived we were seated immediately and always with the same waiter, Christopher. He was a riot! He loved to tell us jokes and always delivered service with a pleasant smile. He was always wanting to know how we liked the food, if we wanted anything more, and got to know our names and likes (coffee at dinner each night) by the third evening. Each dish we had was great and seasoned well, and each night my husband made sure to try their "Didja" selections. Those are items that you may have always wanted to try but never wanted to pay for. Some of the items they ordered for the "Didja" were Alligator Fritters, Sushi, and Frog Legs. Other than those, the selections were always plentiful for the main menu and really good. We had the lobster, prime rib, Chateaubriand, salads, sweet and sour shrimp, and much much more. We also made sure to have our Warm Chocolate Melting Cake nightly. NOT TO BE MISSED!

- ROOM SERVICE

Great each time we ordered, and about a 30 minute wait. We had a wide selection of sandwiches - both hot and cold - and desserts.

PORTS: All reviews for the ports are listed separately below.

SHOWS: I have heard a lot of negative feedback from Carnival seasoned cruisers about the new shows for the "Funship 2.0" upgrades, but my husband and I loved them. They have three that they rotated throughout the week - "Latin Nights", Divas", and "Motion City". All have popular songs being sung by the singers/dancers and the backdrops are now LED lit monitors that are changing with the songs they sing. We saw "Divas" and "Motion City". "Divas" had songs from the more popular Top 40 artists like Whitney Houston, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna, and the sort. "Motion City" was a tribute to the 60's, 70's, and 80's Motown music and had songs by Aretha Franklin, Lionel Richie, The Temptations, etc. - We also did the trivia multiple times (I won a medal, yay!) and watched and participated in the Hasbro Family Show. That was so much fun! My team lost but we still got a consolation prize (a handheld Simon game).

STAFF: Josh, the Cruise Director - was hilarious. Equally funny was his Assistant Cruise Director, Everson! The both of them together were a wild pair and were great fun to be around. Dee, who ran bingo, was a bubbly blond lady and she was upbeat and great. Lolly, who was the MC for the Punchliner Comedy Club was fantastic and she had some pretty funny jokes (if you're not easily offended for the "adults only" show") LOL. I already mentioned Bernil our cabin steward and Christopher our waiter - but again - they were incredible people and if you have the chance to be with either of them whether by chance of room assignment or by requesting the latter in the dining room, you will not be disappointed.

DISEMBARKATION: We chose the relaxed (calling zone numbers) disembarkation process. We were zone 27 out of 31. We were able to have open seating breakfast and relax by the pool until they called us at 10:50am. Once we were off, our luggage came around on the carousel within 3-5 minutes and then we waited in the always slow line for customs. Once we met with the US Customs agent it was done and over in 5 minutes and we were on our way home to central Florida.

We loved our cruise aboard the Carnival Glory and we are already planning our next one for 2013 (this time with the kids)!

Publication Date: 12/22/12