Diamond Princess Cruise Review by purplepansies

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Diamond Princess Cruise Review by purplepansies
Diamond Princess
Diamond Princess
Member Name: purplepansies
Cruise Date: October 2012
Embarkation: other
Destination: Asia
Cabin Category: BB
See More About: Diamond Princess Cruise Reviews | Asia Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Diamond Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Diamond Princess Deck Plans
Had to come home
Basically, this cruise considering the cost of it was very disappointing in so many ways. We had switched to Princess from Royal Carib. 3 cruises on R.C and now 3 with Princess.

We have found that Princess, is lacking on the quality of their food, Entertainment in the showroom and guest entertainment. There appears to be a lack of staff who want to interact with the customers other than react to requests. This 3rd current cruise was the Biggest disappointment yet. Lots of stress due to circumstances on the on-board experience.

Firstly, a middle of the night incident waking everyone up to evaluate a very sick passenger with a Hercules very scary since this ship has no landing pad

2ND, incident, fire on board, resolved also in the middle of the night.

Last but not least, Norovirus hit the ship we heard at the least 200 plus staff and customers sick with it, this was 3 days or so prior to last port.

I totally understand these things happen, but, what bothers me, is there seemed to be a lack of hand sanitizers on board, the only place they existed before this incident was at the buffet. Of course aft. they were placed everywhere. I had noticed this as a standard on the other two Princess ships we had previously sailed on and questioned them on it, they said they had what was standard. Ironically, I looked this ship up when we got home and they had the same norovirus on it previously, would you not think that they learned from the past?

We were with 2 other couples which everyone in some way caught this virus in different degrees. Some people that had tours booked and had to cancel due to it, were reimbursed their monies. My husband and I both caught it the night/early morning prior to disembarkment.

Making this long review shorter, we had pre-booked 3 days of shore excursions in Beijing, with Princess, needless to say, we had to partake the entire first day sick and all, walking around in 3 degree weather and pouring rain, only to cause us to get sicker. My husband managed to do the last 2 of 3 days touring, I ended up in bed for the next 2 days. When we returned. I asked princess to reimburse us for the 2 days I had to miss, they out and out refused. Needless to say we will Never sail with them again, They talk Customer service, I Don't think so!!!

One more thing shore excursions were very overpriced, and not at all great.

Publication Date: 12/22/12