Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by cruise4msjg: Family fun

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Southern Caribbean Cruises

Family fun

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean

So, after Epic last year, this was quite different for us, but although the average age of cruisers was older, it ended up being a very relaxing and enjoyable cruise. We chose this particular cruise for the ports. Personally for myself, there were too many sea days for this ship. Epic has so much more entertainment, so we found ourselves walking around aimlessly sometimes at night. However, during the day there was quite a bit of activity. We were one of very few families with children, however I'm sure it's due to the length of this cruise, being an 11 day during school time. The kids enjoyed the camp time, there were a lot of counsellors per child, so that's a plus on this ship. The Ports were wonderful. Highlights of entertainment were an acrobatic act (former cirque performers) they were wonderful. Comedic juggling (sounds funny, but he is amazingly talented.. He juggles tennis balls and plays the piano with them- really very talented. AND BEST of all, Terrance B, the hypnotist. More His shows are not only impressive, but hilarious! He gets many people in the crowd hypnotized and jokes around with them. I was skeptical about hypnosis, so I tried.. And it worked! So don't miss his shows.. And try to get on stage, it's really a neat experience. The best entertainment on this ship.

The staff is very friendly and all in all it's a fun cruise. A little complaint would be that with the prices of Bingo and Deal or No Deal, many times the prizes are small, it would be nice if there was opportunity to win more.. I purchased 3, deal or no deal cards at 19.95 each, and besides the one person brought up in stage, about 15 member of the crowd won a "pull tab instant win card" and maybe 5 won an 8x10 photo.. Bingo, we paid $40 for our cards and got bingo and shared 150$ with 7 people.

I also felt photographs were very expensive to purchase. We went through about 75 prints of our family, and for $105 got 7. Would have been nice to have the option to go online later and purchase more. Was not happy that they were printed and essentially destroyed if not purchased.

This is a great ship to relax, meet some nice people, and unwind.

As stated earlier there are fewer families and more retirees and ladies and gentlemen over 60.
Aruba and Carucao are amazing- Colombia was also and interesting port. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun

I felt our balcony cabin was a bit small for 4. Only one person could pass by the bed at once. The shower made the bathroom floor very wet. There was no hidden bunk bed in this room , the couch pulled out for the 2 kids, which left no room for walking once open. The bathroom, closet and cabin door all opened Into each other which was very inconvenient.

Beach Break

(5)
We took a cab to de palm pier and went Tubing! Was 20$/ person and our family of 4 loved it! The driver took pictures for us, and went at a pace suitable for our small children. We later walked around near port- nearby the little market is a great place to buy Caribbean souvenirs- 4/$1.00!! Later wished we bought more there.

Mangrove Eco Canoe Journey

(5)
Very unique experience. Short bus tour through city, followed by steered canoe through natural tunneled mangroves. The tour guide is pleasant, friendly, and ensures everyone is safe an comfortable. Interesting perspective of native life.

We just walked around the outdoor mall, took the fairy to downtown. Little tip: FREE WIFI AT Starbucks near the port. The city is colorful and beautiful. There is great shopping. Check out "Velez" leathers are really nice! You can find in Colombia also. The water is gorgeous here. We did not do a snorkel or scuba- but I would read some other comments of some that did, because after seeing the water, I would when we return some day.
Read 501 Curacao Reviews

Beach Break

(5)
If you have time take a can to air port beach! The air planes are almost within reach, it's very cool if you happen to be there when a large plane is landing! It will blow everything away so be careful!

Catamaran Tour

(5)
Wonderful catamaran experience. Snorkeling was great this trip. The beach was nice, private area. Excellent experience. Friendly staff on the boat.

City Tour

(4)
First, stop and get a coconut smoothie and a coconut and brown sugar cookie! They give out samples at the port, I waited a whole year to come back they are delicious! Than take a water taxi downtown and walk around, barefoot bar and restaurant is great local food. Coconut rice and coconut curry chicken.

The sky ride is fun. I'm a little afraid of heights, but it's worth it, gorgeous view from up top. There are beautiful stores downtown, which is a short taxi ride from port. Tavern on the waterfront in a nice indoor rooftop restaurant with great food. If you or children are Into pirates, there is a pirate shop downtown. Gorgeous Jewlery stores in St Thomas. In my opinion some of the best deals in the Caribbean .
Read 2321 St. Thomas Reviews