“Great Ship, Great Crew, Good Value”
Cruise review of Norwegian Gem

andre4259 Norwegian Gem 4 Great Ship, Great Crew, Good Value
andre4259
Member Since 2007
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
This is my second time on the Gem and I must say that it seems very well maintained for a ship of its age. The Gem shined again in this Eastern Caribbean jaunt. What I liked about this cruise was the number of sea days! We had 3 days down and 2 more on the way back. I shy away from the new port every day itineraries because they wear me out! The ports: Samana, Dominica Republic. This is a very underdeveloped port but offers the naturalist a chance to see untouched beauty that may not last long. St Thomas is always a great stop and very pretty. St. Maaten (my first time) seems very American styled, but I understand that the french side is a better bet for the next visit. San Juan was a lot of fun and a great historic treasure. The food on board was all well prepared and had a lot of variety. Bread at the table is not warm and used to be a nice touch. DISEMBARKATION WAS A MESS! The ship staff did not communicate with the non English speakers appropriately until it was to late. The result was a large number of people crowding the lower decks that were not cleared to come into the USA. Entertainment was great and I highly suggest you see "Man from Mars" wherever you are able to. Activities were great and I again participated in the Pub Crawl, that was a hoot! Keep up the good work NCL and we will be back to see soon
Norwegian Gem Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Inside

ID8621
We were in cabin 8621. Aft cabin inside booked as a 1x guarantee. We were moved up 4 level and 4 categories based on what we should expect. I liked this cabin because it was a very short hall way with fewer staterooms and it was very quiet. I think next time we will move to an outside room.

Port
Warm and friendly place very nice people! Did the Old Forts and had a great time. Picture takers paradise!
Read 2,274 San Juan Reviews
I give the Dutch side a lower rating based on its very American style. I hear and heard that the French side seems more like continental France. Wish I had know this before I made my plans.
Read 3,323 St. Maarten Reviews
Published 12/20/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Gem Review
Norwegian Gem Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?