Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by QandI

Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

First time cruiser
Day 1: Embarkation was easy. We were in zone 1 so we were the first to board. We sailed out at about 4:30-5:00pm. Dinner was at 6pm in the Gold Pearl. I liked our table, but we were not all sitting together so someone in my group asked that Carnival make it so we can sit together. We were assigned to the Black Pearl. Having been to both, I would've rather stay at the Golden Pearl. I liked the location of the table better there. The Maitre D and waiters were fantastic in both places. The food was good, but very filling. The veggie spring rolls were always hot, the chicken was terrific.

We had an ideal place for our cabin. It was close to the stairs and elevator and just one floor from the Lido. I had heard that the kids were overwhelming to some cruisers. (I understand that the cruise before ours had 1200 children on board. The cruise I went on had 400. So I guess I cannot say anything there) There was no problem. The kids that I did see seemed very respectful and good.

Rest of the days: I went swimming in the Lido pool. It was nice, but when I started swimming in the adults only pool, it was fantastic and much less crowded. Plus, the Tandoori Food Place was close and that was the best food on the cruise. The adults only pool was great! There was hardly ever anyone in it. Most the adults hung out in the jacuzzi or laying in the sun. I liked the jazz music at this pool. I went there almost everyday.

I can understand the young folks partying and living it up late at night. That is great. Young, drunk folks yelling in the halls, next to the staterooms at odd hours of the night, no problem, it is what they do when they are having fun. However, we never heard a peep from anyone acting on this behavior, except one night. Some girls who were about 35-40 years old were yelling, "Yay!! Lets Party etc." at 2am. I was on my way to the restroom when they started so I opened my front door. I saw one lady there who told me they were getting someone back for yelling and knocking on their door the night before. They had no idea who it was, but they were out for revenge. I must say, I was rather amused by this. Really? What kind of person does this? I guess I am easily amused because this still amuses me. The only think I did not like about this is that I happen to know the people that were around me were much older. I'd see these older folks going to and from their rooms. One of those ladies must have been well into their 70's. Those rude ladies could've woken them up and for what? My roommate didn't wake with this, so that is good. Maybe the others slept through their rudeness too. I personally was still amused that someone would do this.

Our Itinerary changed. Instead of two days in Cabo, we did 2 days in PV. Either way, it was all good. PV was nice, but Cabo was absolutelyyy BEAUTIFUL!! WOW!! On our way out of PV, we saw a school of dolphins playing and a pod of whales. One of the whales jumped out of the water. It was so fantastic! I am glad I did not miss this.

The food was good to excellent. First, my favorite, the Tandoori. It was buffet style, like most the restaurants there. Everyday they had something different. The pineapple chutney was excellent. One day, in PV, I was eating at this place and a bee joined me for lunch. He wanted the pineapple chutney to himself, so I gave it to him. Then he went on his merry little way. The tandoor fish and chicken were awesome. The pizza and deli were a little better than just edible, but really just ok. The hamburgers and fries were terrific.

I went to a couple of comedy shows, they were good. They changed comedians mid cruise, so there was a variety in routines and styles.

Our last day back was a little cooler, and the waters were quite rough. That was ok though, it was all fun.

I loved going on this cruise so much, I even attended the "Future Cruise Presentation". That was entertaining and informative. The presenter said if you are sensitive to the movement of the boat on a rough water day, it is best to get a cabin as close to the middle of the ship as you can. You will feel less movement. I didn't mind it. The waves made it feel I was being rocked to sleep. They even mentioned that the Splendor is soon to change "homes" They have a cruise available for its move. You can go for 48 days or divide that up into the 3 cruises they have offered. Basically, the cruise starts in Long Beach, CA, travels down to Mexico and South America; back up South America on the East side and up to New York. I was a first time cruiser for this cruise and cannot wait to go on more.

Publication Date: 12/20/12