Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by Gracie115: Oasis- 12/8/12 - Pros & Cons

6,346 Posts

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Oasis- 12/8/12 - Pros & Cons

Sail Date: December 2012

Well off ship for 24 hours and with whatever perspective that can give one here you go:

Pros-

1) No one should EVER be bored on this ship, the compass has activities from 6:30AM to at least 2AM all nights except the last one.

2) They handle the crowd of 6200+ better than I could possibly have expected. I was so hesitant about this trip because I get claustrophobic in crowds and lines and that only happened once the entire week and that was on the last night when they were throwing their farewell party in the Promenade and we were trying to walk through it...bad idea....but really it is amazing that the flow of people just doesn't feel crowded...even in the eating venues at prime times you could find a place to sit.(Now I bet in summer when there are 1000 more kids on board this may well not be true based on what I read here on CC but for this trip crowds were easily managed)

3) MDR food....and this was a big surprise...was quite good, very impressed, More the menus were changed across the line about 3 months ago and it is MUCH better(this could be a "con" I ate far too much!!!) Service was also excellent from Bodi our server and our cocktail server was one of the best we've ever encountered on any cruise.

4)Service was great everywhere, smiles and employees that seemed happy to be there for the most part.

5)Room, a Junior Suite was what we expected in size, balcony far bigger and the addition of the single cup coffee maker great for me that wants that one cup of coffee the second I wake up.

6)Major entertainment shows were very good...better than expected.

7)Several smaller venues, a jazz quartet, a violinist & piano duo, piano bar player, small dance band all good.

8)Elevators were amazingly fast, recall one wait for a few minutes, other than that we would push the button and within 30 seconds a cab was there.

9)The two specialty restaurants we tried, 150 Central Park and Chef's Table could stand up to any Celebrity(our most frequent cruiseline) venue, easily.

10) For people with a tendency to seasickness this ship doesn't rock, guess it's too big but you feel very little motion(this is also a con...for me)

11)Embarkation AND debarkation was a breeze less than 15 minutes both ways.

12) Spa treatments were better than expected and gym was GREAT...on port days....crowded on sea days...

13) Cruise Director Amy is good and I usually NEVER care about that but she seems to genuinely like her job versus other CD's who seem to be just going through the motions....

Cons:
This list is shorter but important!

1) Ship is SO big it is hard to actually walk around the decks if you have any mobility issues at all and I had a hip flare up while on ship which made walking tough...

2) LOUD the ship is LOUD nearly everywhere(at least it seemed that way to us)...one of our favorite things to do on board is to walk the open air decks late at night and feel the wind and hear the ocean and even late at night they have music blaring over the loud speakers at the venues on those decks even though they are closed(areas like flowriders, zip line(which YES I did twice...lol) sports courts etc....) I REALLY didn't like that and affected our enjoyment. The exception to this is "Central Park" which is very serene at night, but still not the same as up high on the open decks on other ships.

3) There are few "quiet areas" even the library is loud, the main internet lounge is also the "card playing area" and gets very loud on sea days.

4)You feel no movement even in high(er) seas, I miss that, I like to feel the ship on the water(for others this is a pro)

5) We had a "bathroom" flood the 2nd to last night which took maintenance two hours to "fix" and then the same flood happened the next day so they didn't fix it and we didn't call the 2nd time because we did not want our last day spent with guys in and out of the bathroom we just used our towels and got more....we did let cabin attendant know the last morning so that it could be fixed before the next guest.

6)The ports of call on these ships are lousy if you have done many caribbean cruises(which we've been lucky enough to have).....seems like a small complaint I realize but we have been to Labadee many times, Cozumel probably more than 10 and Jamaica several times....the Eastern route for these ships is Bahamas, St Thomas and St. Maarten all of which we've done many times....it doesn't entice me to get off ship....which is OK but also why after 6 days I was ready to come home...no matter how great the ship is there's still a limit to how long you can just float around on the water.

7) I found my enjoyment of the ship waning in the last days....it's SO big, and no matter how friendly staff is still feels impersonal and I kept getting a strong "Disneyesque" feeling .... it is DEFINITELY designed for families with young kids...which is great but wears on you, or it did me anyway.

8) Spa prices higher than expected

9) As wonderful as gym is it gets crowded on sea days....having to wait for equipment is not cool...hard enough to drag yourself there when there are fun things to do and easy to say to "heck with it" if equipment is not available....

But there are NO BAD CRUISES and we had a good time and would consider going again if different ports were involved.....DH liked it more than I.....but it was a good break and a fun week away from work.

If anyone has any questions would be happy to help if I can. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Junior Suite Deck 6 7636

7636- Junior Suite- Wonderful cabin, with HUGE balcony, 2 chairs, 2 lounges and table. Not far from elevators. Bed very comfortable. Very quiet location, would definitely book again if we went on Oasis again.

Not a fan of Jamaica and this trip didn't change that opinion. Ship's tour was less than mediocre and somewhat deceiving as the "carriage ride" consisted of about 15 minutes of 2 1/2 hour tour. Was glad to get back to ship.
Read 483 Falmouth Reviews

Great barbecue, didn't do much else, bought a couple souveniers. Quite warm considering it was mid-December.
Read 364 Labadee Reviews