Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Wildcatllamas: NCL Star December 2, 2012

Compare Prices on Norwegian Star Western Caribbean Cruises

NCL Star December 2, 2012

Sail Date: December 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans

My husband and I arrived 3 days before I cruise and stayed at the Drury Inn. It is in a great location as I was able to walk to the French Quarter or Harrah's without any problems. There is also a Walgreens or a CVS and they are right on the edge of the French Quarter so about 4 blocks from the Drury Inn. Renaldo at the front desk was great with his recommendations for city tours. Each morning I would walk to Cafe Beignet on Bourbon street for coffee and a beignet. Got pralines for folks back home at both Laura's candy and Southern Candymakers. Folks are still telling me how yummy they were.

We ate dinner on Friday night at the Crazy Lobster. Wasn't anything to write home about. But Saturday night we had dinner at Cresent City Brewhouse with some of the Meet & Greet folks. Great dinner and even better dinner companions.

Sunday morning it was off to the port. Jules had been our cab driver from the airport to the hotel and we like her so much I got her phone number and More used her just about every time we needed a cab. On Sunday she already had a fare so her husband picked us up. He was as good as Jules.

We arrived at the port at 11 am and the Security line moved quickly. We were checked in and in the VIP waiting area by 11:30. By 11:45 we received our keys and a short time later Patrick was leading us on board. Because my husband was on O2 Made, who was to be our butler, assisted us onboard to Cagney's for lunch. After an excellent lunch it was off to our suite.

We were in one of the new penthouse suites on deck 12. It was nice and roomy for 2 people. Three could do it but I sure wouldn't try for any more than that unless they were kids. Bed wasn't bad but could have used a foam pad. Just never thought to ask for one.

Shortly after arriving in our cabin we met Benjamin our room steward. What a gem he is. You couldn't ask for a better room steward. Between he and Made we didn't want for anything.

My only complaint was there should be a tv guide in the room rather than on the one channel. It was a pain to have to sit there and wait for the movie listings to finally show up for each day.

Some of us from our Star thread met in the Biergarten for sail away and then DH and I headed to Cagney's for dinner. Filet and lobster were excellent.

Due to some issues from a surgery my DH had he spent most of his time in the cabin and most of the time we would head to the buffet for meals. We never found a time when there wasn't something he enjoyed eating. We did have dinner one night in Le Bistros and once again weren't disappointed. I had breakfast in Cagneys each morning and an occasional lunch there as well.

On Monday we had our Meet & Greet and what a wonderful group of folks. The officers came in for a few minutes and introduced themselves. Following our M&G we had a slot pull that was put together by Jim and we each only lost $5. It was a lot of cheering and hollering. Following this there was the Latitudes Party and later that evening was the VIP party. Both were really nice. At the suite party I went by myself and the staff was so attentive to me. Didn't make the Silver, Gold and Platinum Latitude party.

Since we have been to all of these ports before it was more for the relaxation accompanied with some shopping.

I have a built in alarm clock that I can't reset and since I am up at home at 4:30 am every morning I was always up by 5:30 am so very limited night life.

When we got back to NO we had Priority disembarkation and Patrick requested a wheel chair for my husband. It made everything so easy for us. He is an excellent concierge. We were back to the Drury Inn by 10 am. Took a short nap and then off to the French Quarter again. Ate lunch at Deanies and some last minute shopping. Got back to the hotel and by this time DH was ready for dinner. Ate at Oceana and another meal to remember.

If you ever have a chance to book a full suite on NCL you won't regret it. And they usually have a promotion that if you book a suite 9 months out you will receive a $300 OBC. Can't beat that. We never got anything like that with Princess, Celebrity or RCCL. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star 12012

Cabin 12012 is one of the new Penthouse suites on the Star. It is laid out in a very comfortable floor plan. It is very roomy for two people. Three people wouldn't be too bad but 4 would be pushing the comfort level. There could be more lighting in the bathroom. The flat screen TV is mounted on the wall and can pivot so you can view from the bed or couch. The cabin has excellent closet space but could use more light there as well. The balcony is nice with 3 wicker chairs and a small table. It would be nicer if there was at least one lounge chair. There is only a coffee table in the cabin so it isn't real comfortable if you decide to order a meal in. Can be done but not as comfortable as a regular table would be.