Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by Logger1: PANAMA CANAL ON INFINITY

PANAMA CANAL ON INFINITY

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: San Diego

We choose Celebrity for our first cruise because we wanted to experience better than average for a cruise line. Celebrity did not disappoint us.

Boarding in San Diego was fast. We were traveling with another couple. He needed a scooter to be mobile. I think that helped us get through the process quicker. We got in line at 11:30 and were on board just after 12 noon.

Stateroom were available about 2pm so we spent the first couple of hours exploring the ship. Our balcony stateroom was perfect for us on Deck 7. The lifeboats below you are forward of you, so you can look right down to the water from our balcony. This is great when you are in port and can look right down on the pier to see what is going on. We were close to both glass elevators and forward elevators and we never heard any noise other than hearing the water rolling by outside. If I am ever on Infinity again, I would look for this cabin again in a flash.

Food was excellent and variety was way over our More expectations. We were offered a 2 for 1 in SS United States on day 6 of cruise and took them up on it. One word. WOW!! Do try the lobster cooked table-side. Buffet--You will not starve here. There is everything here. Breakfast, lunch, Dinner, it don't matter. It is all there. Even Ice cream by dish or cone.

Now some of the bad. The ship shore excursions are way over priced and quality of some of the tours left a lot to be desired. Talking with other passengers, I got the impression that going ashore and getting your own was not only a lot cheaper, but quality was better. We were really disappointed in Colon with the railway/bus tour along the canal. There were only a few places along the track that you get a great view of Gaton Lake and the cut.

The Internet is a total waste of money. Keep it in your wallet. Service was spotty at best and we heard lots of complaining about being ripped off and no refunds. We kept ours in the wallet. If you want American cash onboard, do not rely on their ATM machines. I swear they keep them down to force you to go to Casino and get cash off your credit card. They charge 5% of amount for this. Atm was only working after our last port call, so was available only last 3 days of cruise. These were not cruise breakers though. The following was.

Now the UGLY. As I stated we were traveling with another older couple. He is unable to walk and needs a scooter. The only way they can travel, was for us to take them along and watch over them. Not an issue for us. What was an issue was after he got ill onboard. He was complaining about headaches and unable to move his left leg. We thought he was having a stroke. He had one 8 years ago. We had just arrived in Cartagena Columbia. We took him to the ships Dr. They did some tests and sent them to the hospital. My wife and I were told that we would be kept informed as to his status whether they were coming back to the ship or not, and about his health either way. We heard nothing all day. The ship sailed at 4pm, and my wife and I stood on the back rail on deck 10 watching the pier to no avail. We felt awful. We felt like we deserted them. The last 3 days of the cruise was ruined for us by stress and worry. We never once heard one word about our friends. I was able finally in Ft. Lauderdale to text back to Canada to a relative who let us know they were fine. He spent 4 days in hospital and she was put up in an American home. They have nothing about praise of their treatment from both Celebrity and their ships Agent in Cartagena. They are home safe now and thank god for travel insurance.

We are not complainers, but we felt Celebrity let us down. By not even giving us a simple message to let us know our friends were looked after they ruined our last 4 days of this cruise. We were all set to sign up for future cruise credit with them so my wife could get her Hawaii cruise. We didn't. I just booked Princess for Hawaii. We might cruise with them in future, but we need some healing before that will happen if ever. Please don't take our experience as a everyday occurrence as I know Celebrity just dropped the ball here. Other than that it was over all a nice cruise. Less

Read more Celebrity Infinity cruise reviews >>