Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Tonysmooth89: Great week aboard the Epic

Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Great week aboard the Epic

Sail Date: December 2012

This was my 4th cruise overall and 3rd on Norwegian , having sailed on the sky ( meh) and pearl ( loved it) I was pretty excited to experience the latest and greatest the line had to offer. It did not disappoint.

The first thing I'll say is this ship is probably not for everybody. If you like quiet spaces and slow paces this isn't the ship for you.

Ship design - Best summed up in a pros/cons list
Pros: Very easy to navigate
Attractive and flashy design and decor
Lots of options for dining , hanging out , and entertainment
Big enough for 4000 people ( not as crowded as one would think)
Plenty of deck space/chairs , especially if you know where to look
Cons: Too much casino , which was often smoky and crowded and it wasn't always avoidable
Promenade deck rather doesn't circle the ship and is obstructed by lifeboats
Not enough views of the ocean in some places, sort of makes you forget you're on a More ship ( not that big of a con)

Dining- Ton of options and locations to eat at- Here's what I tried Garden Cafe offers up a huge selection , more options than one could try in a week. Plenty of seating and nice panoramic view of the ocean.
O'sheehans- solid pub food available 24/7 - Milkshakes are extra but worth it at least once during a week
Wasabi- got a rainbow roll , very good size roll for 4.25 or so. Quality was surprisingly good. Would do it again for sure.
Le Bistro - Best meal on the ship. The duck confit and the chocolate fondue were particularly notable. Atmosphere was nice and quiet.
Shanghai's - Pretty good , maybe a little high price at 15 , but the food was pretty good. There was 4 of us that night and we tried a bit of everything and it was all pretty good except the lettuce wraps. The Chestnut and red bean triangles with green tea ice cream is a must try. Not very busy so it was pretty quiet.
La Cucina - Probably the prettiest restaurant on the ship. Least favorite of the specialty restaurants but still good. Caprese was beautifully plated with a taste to match. One of my favorite Tiramusus anywhere. The main courses are good but not great.
Main dining rooms provide a good meal for no extra charge , and on lobster and prime rib nights you should look no further. The specialty restaurants are definitely better on the whole ,but the MDRs suffice.

We had an inside cabin and found it to be surprisingly efficient for the size. Didn't feel as cramped as the rooms on the sky and the decor was very sharp. I was traveling with my fiancee so the privacy complaints on the bathrooms didn't matter , and if you pull the curtain you're fine anyway. Plenty of closet space with an adequate shower space. And surprisingly comfortable beds.

The entertainment that I saw was all top notch. Blue Man Group was so good we saw it twice , The Slam Allen Blues band was really good too. The only show I didn't care for was Legends in Concert , largely because Michael Jackson was sick so we had only Jimmy Buffet , Whoopie Goldberg and Donna Summer , and those aren't exactly my favorite people. The quality was very high though. Didn't get to catch cirque dreams but hopefully we will next time we're on board.

Getting on and off the ship was a breeze , especially on port days. No more crowded than the smaller ships I've been on , and maybe even less crowded.

Staff was very friendly on the whole.

One last note , the big bowl slide and the green one are very fun , the purple one not so much,

Overall the Epic has some flaws , but nothing that's a dealbreaker. It served up on of the most fun weeks at sea I could've imagined , and we didn't even do everything! So if you want a quiet relaxing ship , this might not be for you , but for someone looking for fun than look no further than the Epic. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic

Ardastra gardens is a must see. It's a small but very good zoo. Nice beaches to be had but didn't get to experience. Plenty of shopping downtown. Tip: Use the busses instead of the taxis and you'll save a good bit of money.
Read 2629 Nassau Reviews

Great beach and shopping port. Went to Maho beach and came back quickly , the beach by the port is much better.

What a beautiful port! We went to Blackbeard's castle , which offers some pretty good photo ops and is worth the trip , and the we took a tour of the island , stopped at a few great vantage points and a coki beach. Tour guide was named Raymond and was very friendly and informative. Plan to stop at Magen's bay whenever I get back there.
Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews