Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by alwaysonacruise

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by alwaysonacruise
Caribbean Princess
Caribbean Princess
Member Name: alwaysonacruise
Cruise Date: December 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: I
Cabin Number: R720
See More About: Caribbean Princess Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Expected more
FOOD:

I am going to begin with food because it was where I encountered the most issues.

BUFFET: The buffet food was terrible to me. The food was often cold and bland. The options were not great, it seemed like the food tasted the same every day. Some items on the menu were way too salty and inedible. Breakfast consisted of the usual foods; the omlets at the omlet bar were terrible, very bland. The French toast and waffles were very good as well as the pastries. The breakfast potatoes were salty most of the time and I asked for an English muffin with egg and cheese without the ham and the server told me it couldn't be done because they were pre assembled. The dinner buffet was much of the same bland food and over salted. The best part of the buffet was the sweets and cakes. The complimentary drinks lacked options. Some of the buffet items were also not labelled correctly, some meat ingredients were not listed which would not be great for people who have allergies or other food preferences.

SERVICE: The servers on Lido were excellent with regards to coming around to get us drinks and to find out if there was anything we needed. Ignacio who was our server a few times was so polite and friendly.

ANYTINE DINING: We opted for anytime dining. The wait time was never very long which was great. The dining room was small and nothing spectacular in terms of decor but it was okay. The options on the menu were limited, there were pork options, lots of beef and seafood and one day there was lamb. I don't eat sea food so there weren't many things on the menu that I found appetizing. I do eat meat but I'm not a fan of things like tripe and scallops or even shrimp. Some of the food was very salty and most of the items I had were not very tasty. The pad Thai I had one night had to be sent back it was overly salty and tasted nothing like Pad Thai at all. I missed flavour on this cruise!

SERVICE: For the most part our dining staff was pleasant. We did have a few waiters who delivered service that was less that friendly but the head waiter Alejandro was great. He had the kitchen customize our meals since we didn't care for the menu and he was always around to make sure everything was great. The customized meals weren't great either but they were edible.

I was celebrating my birthday and the staff sang happy birthday and brought me a cake. We also had a band playing to us which was very nice. I also got a birthday card in my room which was a nice personal touch.

THE CAFE: The international cafe was great. I liked that they had bands playing and different entertainment. The food was okay, the salads were a tad salty but the sandwiches and cookies were good.

AFTERNOON TEA: I really enjoyed afternoon tea. The tea was good, the coffee was a bit watery tasting, not very flavourful at all but the pastries and sandwiches were good and the hot scones were fantastic!

PREGGO PIZZARIA: Excellent pizza! The slices were large and tasty. This is the best pizza I have had on a cruise thus far.

SCOUPS ICE CREAM: basic ice cream flavours but you have the option of some toppings, over all the ice cream was good.

MOVIES UNDER THE STARS:

I love movies but the deck was not made well for watching movies under the stars. The only seats that were unobstructed were around the pool and when the wind was strong pool water sprayed us. The other seats on the higher deck were obstructed with plastic barricades so you had to watch the movie through them. The chairs were not always covered like they were supposed to be and many of the chairs were wet. We were supposed to be provided with warm blankets and popcorn but the staff did not come around with them instead we had to go looking for them which was a hassle. They did however play some very good movies on TV, they were all recent releases which was great.

The deck chairs were old, flimsy and uncomfortable.

STATEROOM:

We had an inside stateroom and it was a standard size. The only fault I had was the bathroom shower was very small. Even for a small person the shower was small in size and if you tried to bend down you could hit your head on the wall!

The bunk beds that were in the wall of our room and which we did not need to use stuck out of the wall obstructively. Someone in our party actually got hurt getting out of bed and hit her head rather hard. We had to shimmy our way down the bed to get out of it we could not just stand up at the side of the bed because we would hit our heads on the bunk beds coming out of the wall.

I like that all documents were delivered on the door in a mailbox and that they decorated my door with a poster and balloons for my birthday.

SERVICE: our stateroom steward Blesilda was warm and friendly, the bathroom could have been a tad cleaner and the beach towels were thin and a bit worn but she was a great person.

SCHEDULE AND ITINERARY:

The only issue I had with the schedule was that on the day we went to Curacao until ten pm they scheduled some great shows and entertainment that we missed while the day before on our at sea day they scheduled less desirable events.

PRINCESS CAYS: Princess Cays was beautiful. There were many chairs to lounge on and the beach was well maintained. The area of beach we were on was rather rocky in the water and had holes between the rocks which wasn't pleasant or very safe.

The Barbeque on the island wasn't good; the food was bland for the most part unless you enjoy bland burgers, overcooked corn and terrible corn salad. The only good part for me was the grilled chicken breast.

CURACAO: Curacao was beautiful, so much to see and do. I would love to go back and spend more time in Curacao. The downside was the ship got into port late and by the time we got tickets to get off the ship we had missed out on some valuable time.

ARUBA: Beautiful stop, great town would definitely go back. The ship should arrange to stay here longer it was not enough time.

TECHNICAL ISSUES: It seemed like the ship was having technical issues the entire time. We were late arriving in Curacao due to technical issues that caused the ship to slow down. Members of our family lost power in their room until after noon and were left sitting in the dark unable to get ready. And the ship was late arriving back in Fort Lauderdale which was worrying because we had a very early flight.

THE DECK: The deck layout was nice, it was separated into 3 or 4 smaller deck areas so there seemed to be a lot of space.

ENTERTAINMENT: The entertainment was good. The dancers were great and the shows were well done. The music could have been a bit more modern I am a bit tired of hearing music from the 60's and the Jersey boys but overall it was a good experience. The illusion show was rather simple as far as illusions go but still enjoyable. The comedian wasn't funny in my opinion...he made the audience sing and then he proceeded to sing nursery rhymes in various impressions...I wasn't impressed.

The bands on the ship were really good!! They had some great parties and dancing in the Atrium outside of the International Cafe.

The Trivia was fun and so were the game shows and balloon drop party.

SKY WALKERS NIGHT CLUB: This club is really nice but the music was terrible and it was absolutely dead every night. I also did not like the smoking in the club.

ATMOSPHERE/DECOR: The atmosphere on this ship was relaxed. I found that people did not dress very accordingly in the dining room apart from the fromal nights and no dress code was enforced. Afternoon tea did not adhere to the dress code mentioned in the Princess Patter schedule and people arrived in lounge wear. The ship's decor was nice, no harsh colors but rather a neutral palate.

The atrium was beautifully decorated for Christmas.

The population aboard was mostly elderly we were among the youngest aboard but the ship never seemed crowded despite the 3,000 people aboard.

Overall I expected a lot more from Princess.

Publication Date: 12/19/12