“Sickness On Board”

norfolkvaguy
Member Since 2007
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Starting on our 5th day of the cruise, my wife was in and out of Deck 1 Medical Facility with an upper respiratory disease that she caught during the cruise (incubation is approximately 3 days) and was treated with antibiotics. That apparently caused her to come down with diverticulitis, which in my wife's case caused severe abdominal pains. Initial pain killers did not work. Finally she was given the good stuff and we made it home, where I immediately dropped her off at our hospital. The doctor kept her for two nights. I caught the upper respiratory infection after the 7th day on board. We both used good sanitary procedures throughout the cruise, which apparently was not enough to prevent contact with the carrier person. We went on the cruise to revitalize our selves from high tension jobs. This was our 7th time on the Explorer, but also our last. Possibly also our last with Royal Caribbean because they have gone down hill in other areas. I was told their is no credit for missed days, even though it probably was a crew member that passed on the disease. We know of several others on board who also came down with the disease. Has anyone else know of this problem on the Explorer? Has every ship this uncontrolled disease?
Explorer of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean

No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Explorer of the Seas Review
Explorer of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?