Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by irishsue

Cruise Date: November 2012
Embarkation: other
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: 07
See More About: Celebrity Equinox Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Everything we expected and more
We are a couple under 30 and this was our 4th cruise but the first with Celebrity. The Equinox is beautiful, the nicest ship I have been on. It is a classy, modern ship that is easy to find your way around. Some nice touches were the automatic features on many doors (no swinging out of heavy ship doors), individual cloth towels in the bathrooms and fresh flowers around the ship including orchids.

We were very pleased with our oceanview stateroom. Many reviewers commented on lack of storage space which I completely disagree with. We had more than enough for the clothes required for the 14 night cruise. The bathroom was very spacious and again had great storage. We got a bucket of ice everyday and bathrobes were also provided which were handy. There was a good selection of movies on the tv too.

We ate in the main dining room almost every night. We had a table of 8 at the 8.30pm seating. The food on the Equinox was by far the best we have ever had on any cruise. There was always a great choice and the quality of meat like the filet steak and lamb shank was excellent.

We ate once in one of the speciality restaurants, Silk Harvest (Asian Fusion). It was very nice but I'm not sure if it was worth paying the extra $25 pp when the food in the main dining room is so good. Nice for a change I suppose.

The buffet was again, the best buffet we have eaten in on on a ship. There was a huge selection of food and it never fully closed between the various mealtimes so you could always get something to eat there. They served fresh orange juice at the bar there which I loved.

The Mast Grill on the pool deck was very popular: they did excellent burgers and chips.

We booked the Classic Drinks Package and we are fairly sure we got the value out of it but even if we didn't, it was worth it for the peace of mind knowing we didn't have to watch our bill throughout the cruise. Celebrity really are strict on serving only one drink at a time and not allowing you to share drinks with other people.

There is a huge range of bars and nice areas to sit and relax around the ship. My husband and I particularly enjoyed the Cellarmasters wine bar. Pesonally I didn't see the attraction of the martini bar but it was very popular and always busy. The Ensambles Lounge at the specialitly restaurants was another favourite of mine while my husband loved Michael's Club, a cosy richly designed luxurious bar. The Foyer in the centre of the ship was an ideal place for live music as it could be heard in all of the surrounding bars. The live musicians on the ship were all very enjoyable and added to the atmosphere wherever they played.The cafe on deck 5 was very popular and served a good selection of teas, coffees and snacks as well as ice-cream.

There were many events, talks, workshops etc organised for the days at sea. We took part in one of the wine tasting classes hosted by the guest somelier/ alcohol specialist Arthur Black. We had met Arthur many times around the ship and he is a gentleman and was more than willing to chat to anyone who approached him. His class was excellent and he really is a true expert in his profession. We were blown away by his knowledge and I would highly recommend taking a class with him if you are ever given the opportunity on future cruises.

The cruise director Ben was very friendly and possibly the hardest working man on the ship. He greeted us onto the ship on the first day and anytime we met him around the ship he always said hello and often stopped for a chat. We found there was a great selection of entertainment from comedians to dancers, magicians to musicians. I think there was something for everyone.

The staff all around the ship were incredibly friendly and helpful, they are obviously trained to a very high standard which distinguishes Celebrity from other cruise lines we have sailed with.

Overall we had a great 14 days, thoroughly enjoyed the experience, made some great friends on the ship and the only complaint I have is about my waistline!!

Publication Date: 12/19/12