Carnival Elation Cruise Review by CruiseDetective

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Elation Cruise Review by CruiseDetective
Carnival Elation
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Awesome.
Monday, December 10 New Orleans

When we first got on board, we were greeted by the staff of the Elation. Mom and I met a dancer named Alicia from Canada and she answered all of our questions like a pro. We headed up to the spa for tours and mom got a relaxing warm water back massage. We stayed in there for a while and then went down to the "Get to know your ship" tour with Ross, an entertainment team staff member from England. He was a tall, lanky guy with red hair and he was very funny. The song "Gangnam Style" came on the radio, and he was dancing along with the music. We headed to the "Fun Ashore and Fun Aboard" show with Willie Lee, the Cruise Director, also from England. He's a bald, short, stocky guy who reminds me of Curly from the 3 stooges. He was hilarious and made jokes about members of the audience. I could tell this was going to be a great cruise. We had to go to our safety briefing at our Muster Station, the Cole Porter Lounge. We saw Alicia again, demonstrating how to put on our life jackets (but I already knew) and then we did a drill where we headed out to the lifeboats and just stood in line for a while. It was really cold outside and we were so happy to get back inside after staying in the cold for 10 minutes without jackets. After the drills, we went up to Tiffany's Bar and Grill to watch the ship sail away from New Orleans. We were happy to leave the cruddy weather behind and just go cruising! We headed back to the Spa to take part in the Raffle, but we didn't win anything. We did "Not So Easy Trivia" with Mathias, the karaoke host (Yeaaaaah.) and then stayed in the Romeo and Juliet lounge for Mind Game Mania. We went to dinner in the Imagination Dining Room for a great meal with Freddie, our awesome waiter. We travelled to the Mikado Lounge for "Dancing with the Cast Dance Class" just to watch. I even picked up a few new dance steps. Dad headed down to Karaoke and mom and I went to see the Welcome aboard Show, which was AWESOME. That was an end to our 1st day aboard the Carnival Elation.

Tuesday, December 11

Sea Day

So much to do, so little time! I met up with some friends and just wandered around the ship for the whole morning. I headed down to Cash Craze Bingo (just to watch) at 3:30 in the afternoon after eating all the ice cream on the Lido deck. We met Laura, the assistant Cruise Director, also from England. She's a tall, thin, pretty girl with long dark hair and a cheeky smile. (Shimmer shimmer shimmer!) We also met Alana, an entertainment staff member also from Canada, a blonde, tall girl who's always laughing and smiling. She had a really soft voice and laugh though. Alana was really nice and courteous, and she answered all of our questions. She had awesome people skills. Ross and Alana were making shadow puppets on the bingo screen, it was totally funny. (I learned how to make a new shadow puppet, a muscleman! Just ask Ross!)We caught the end of Single Ladies Dance Class with Jamie, a really tall, thin bald guy ALSO FROM ENGLAND who had a really high pitched squeaky voice and female mannerisms. (Another point for England.) We went to take formal night pictures, and then it was off to dinner. I had Alligator Fritters, (which were not really much alligator, more like bread) Lobster and Shrimp, (good.) and Pineapple Sherbet for dessert. (Ice cream) It was show time, finally! We saw "Just Rock" in the Mikado Lounge at 7:00 (Cool.), along with an introduction of the Captain and officers. Finally, we went to see Eddie Clark, the funniest comedian I have ever seen. We sat in the front row, so we got picked on just a tad, but it was great. We finally went to the Karaoke and Legends Auditions, our last activity for the night. I was so excited because my dad got Frank Sinatra and my friend got Shania Twain. Orrrssuuum! We finally hit the sack really late, but hey! You're on a cruise.

Wednesday, December 12

Progreso, Mexico

We decided not to get off the boat at Progreso and just chill with friends. (Bad choice, the weather in Cozumel was awful.) We just relaxed on the Deck chairs and swam (try the water slide) and steamed in the Hot tub (more like a warm tub) until everyone got back on board and we sailed away from Progreso. We ate, and then went to the Thriller Dance Class @ the Mikado taught by Jamie again. Very fun. At 9:15 at the Mikado Lounge, THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY CRUISE HAPPENED! Willie's Liars Club: Join your Cruise Director Willie and his pathological liars and see who can bluff their way through words and descriptions. Who is lying and who is telling the truth? (Rated PG, there are references... but it will go over kid's heads) We were introduced to another entertainment host, named Ellie from CANADA (another point for Canada!) She was beach-blonde and didn't talk as much as Alana, but she was cool. Ellie was the host of Liars Club, and this was how the game worked: A strange word was put up on the board (like Arachibutyrophobia, Hylomania,Shapoo, and Hemipygic) and each panelist (Alana, Laura, Ross, and Willie) had to give their definition. Only one host was telling the truth and we (the audience) had to select which host had the correct definition. This was HILARIOUS! Highly recommend it. There was nothing else to do, so we just went to sleep.

Thursday, December 13

Cozumel, Mexico

We woke up early to see cruddy weather around Cozumel as we pulled into the dock. The whole reason why we came on the cruise was to go somewhere, so we just decided to face the weather. As we went down to the gangway, the line was moving a bit slow, so we just chatted it up with Alana because she was assigned to "work the gangplank", I suppose. As soon as we started moving, the rain increased a lot, so we decided to buy flimsy ponchos for 5 bucks... I still got soaked anyway. We bought a lot of stuff in Cozumel, although I felt bad getting water all over the floors. Oh well. We got back on the boat and went to change our clothes because we were dripping wet. An hour after we started sailing away, Dad went to go play sports trivia @ the Drama Bar, and mom and I snuck in and watched rehearsals for the dancing in the Legends show at the Romeo and Juliet Lounge ( with Alicia). Dad went to go do Karaoke, and mom and I went to see the show "Celebrity Heads" with Alana as the host. Each person, (a new entertainment staff member, Blake from Canada) Blake, Laura, Ross, and Willie were given hard hats (Willie's didn't fit so he just stuck the card on his forehead) and Cards with items or names on them. They could not see the cards, but the audience could. The panelist asked yes or no questions to the audience to try to guess what or who they had on their forehead. Laura got it 3 out of the 4 times first. Really funny, I highly recommend it. We went to see the Win 60 second challenge at 10:15 in the Mikado (very provocative, but it was just the contestants' fault, but Laura played along.) which Laura hosted. This lasted about 15 minutes, even though it was the "60 second" challenge. Then, we saw the show "Win" which was sort of confusing, but I managed to get the basic idea that a man was competing in different game shows and won a trip to different places. It was sort of like a comedy variety sketch show. It was okay overall, but my favorite part was in Asia with the dragons. I also went to the Lido Deck party with Laura as the host. Very fun day overall, but the weather could have been nicer in Cozumel.

Friday, December 14

Sea Day

I woke up bright and early on Friday to do the Towel Folding demonstrations at 10:00 in The Mikado. Hosted by Blake and a room steward, we learned how to make a bulldog, dinosaur, bunny, stingray, and seal out of towels. It was awesome! I decided to stay for Towel animal Theatre, which was cute and mainly kid oriented. I also stayed for Pick a Prize Bingo, which the prizes were $600 or a 3, 4, or 5 day cruise anywhere with a nice room. I don't really like bingo, I just liked the way Laura hosted it. (If you have the bingo number say "Yes, Laura." If you don't have the number say "COME ON LAURA!") We had a blast goofing off and making shadow puppets again with Ross and Alana. Afterwards mom and I did the genius test and scored Intelligent. Not bad at all! At 3:00 I headed to the Mikado for Country line dance class, which was taught by a female dancer whose name, I believe, was Kristen. It was a hoot! Afterwards, I went to the Drama Bar to watch 60 seconds or less, which was kind of like Minute to win it. That was hosted by Blake and it was really funny. I also stayed for Comedy Movie Quote Trivia, although all of the movies were before my time. We ate dinner, and then headed to the Mikado for The Gender Showdown. Girls won, of course, and our hosts were Alana for the girls and Blake for the boys. It was hysterical; we kept taunting each other and cheering for our side. We watched Game Show Mania afterwards, which my mom competed in and won. I also stayed for $5,000 Power Ball Bingo because I really needed a good seat for the Legends Show and Laura was hosting again. We finally came to the end of the trip, the Legends show was amazing, and the trip was awesome. I would definitely do it again!

Publication Date: 12/17/12